22|urges them

"Why do you say Samson killed her?" Peterson asked. "Samson was seen an hour after she left."

"Because Samson was in love with my girlfriend! He was jealous of the both of us so he took her away from me."

"Mr. Phillips, do not make accusations you cannot prove."

"I'm telling you, he's lying to you!" He blurted out before cooling down. "He's lying to you," he repeated with a sigh.

"Well can you prove it?" Peterson asked.

"No but-"

"Did you see him?" Zachary cursed when he didn't have anything to say.

"No," Zachary said in defeat.

"Then, I believe we are done here."

---

"What's on your mind?" Thea asked him. He never ceased brushing her hair with his hand as she planted herself to his chest.

"I'm thinking," he said.

"About?"

"My sister," he answered without missing a beat.

"Oh," she said. "Freya's death came as a shock to me,"

"Me too, I flew over immediately I heard of it. I am working with the police force in investigating who murdered her but everything seem to revolve around itself." He said to her.

"What do you mean?"

He sighed, "a suspect came in for questioning today. Everything he said seemed untrue but true at the same time. I mean, he met up with Freya last and the next thing, she's dead. I don't think any other person would be responsible for her death."

"The fact that he was with her last wouldn't necessarily mean he killed her," Thea spoke up.

"Your point?"

"What I mean is this, this man might have left her that night unharmed. Maybe something urgent came up and he couldn't take her along."

"That's what he said."

"Exactly,"

"It just looks predictable." Ashton told her.

"Anything can happen. Have you ever dreaded the feeling of being cornered on your way home. Maybe that's what happened to her, maybe she was cornered."

"Maybe," he sighed. Just about then, something flashed in her memory and she frowned trying to out the pieces together.

"Ash," she called.

"Hmm,"

"Who is this man that you are talking about? This man that Freya was with that night,"

"She calls him Zachy but he goes by the real name Zachary Phillips."

She stiffened involuntarily. Finally putting the puzzles together, he recalled Zach saying he was just from the police station. She remembered his intense story on how much he had love Freya from the start but had to move away for some reasons. She remembered how pained he felt when she brought up the idea that he had murdered Freya.

No!

He couldn't be the one. It couldn't be the same Freya.

"Thea, are you alright?"

"He didn't kill her," she said.

"What?" He sat up now, taking a hint that the conversation was about to get serious.

"Zachary didn't kill her, I know Zachary." Thea told him

"How and when did you know him?"

"I met him on Saturday evening when I was coming home. He gave me a lift in his car. I can assure you Ash, Zachary didn't kill Freya." She said.

He hesitated. "What has he told you? You shouldn't believe anything yet. You might be acquainted with a criminal for God's sake!" He shrieked.

"Zach is not a criminal!"

"You don't know that!" He yelled back surprising her by his outburst. He pulled out of the covers immediately.

"Ash, where are you going?" She called out immediately.

"Home," he said

"It's late, you shouldn't-"

"I'll be fine." He interrupted.

"Please don't leave," she rushed out desperately. He stopped in his movement. "I'm sorry if I said something wrong, I was just relating what he told me, I'm sorry it came out like that."

Silence reigned for some time before he sighed and said, "fine, I'll stay but I need to sleep, I'm very tired." He said.

"Okay," he silently walked to the bed and she made space for him to get on it. He shrunk into the covers once more. Placing his hand under his head, he shut his eyes immediately. She gulped nervously and stiffly rested her head on his chest.

After an hour of trying to get some sleep, she silently cursed cause she wasn't getting any. She very well knew the reason why.

She raised herself up with her elbow to get a clear view of his face.

Reaching for his chin, She kissed him and his arm tightened around her immediately.

"Thea," his voice was strained. His eyes shut open immediately and he flipped her into her back.

"Why do you torture me so badly?" He whispered to her.

"I drive you insane," she said.

"In more ways than one." He said before leaning down to seal their lips. When he free her lips again, she softly whispered against them.

"I meant it when I said that I'm sorry, I don't want us to start our fights this early."

"You're right, we shouldn't be fighting."

"Right. Zachary only told me things to make me believe him. Maybe you're right and he's the culprit, I just don't want you jumping to conclusions."

"That wasn't the problem even. The problem was, he might be the culprit and you were with him. If he were the culprit, I don't know his motives and he might come after you too. I just got you back and I'm not willing to take risks." He said to her but her hands began trailing down his chest. He closed his eyes enjoying the feeling of what her soft hands could do to his body.

"You are not going to lose me again." She said to him.

He opened his eyes to stare at her once more. It was almost like a dream he never wanted to wake up from but it wasn't. She was truly in his arms again after a long time. She hesitatingly locked their lips when he saw he wasn't doing it anytime soon and he made sure to enjoy the moments of her body against his under the covers.

---