43|root for

Ashton opened the wardrobe where he usually kept his things, searching earnestly for something. How could he be so careless to have lost it?

He combed his hair in frustration. An hour ago, he found out that her promise necklace still hung around her neck like she never took it off, while his, was somewhere in the house. He shut the wardrobe as quietly as he could so he wouldn't wake her up.

He walked out of the room, trying to remember where he was with it last.

"Master?"

The young man turned immediately to the soft voice of his maid.

"Maria," he said. For a moment there, they stared at each other. Her, trying to figure what he was doing up by this hour of the night. She stared right at his worried face. How was he going to explain to her that he misplaced their matching necklace?

"Did I wake you up?"

"No, no you didn't. I was going to fill up my jug of water...tell me Ashton, what bothers you?" She said to him but he shook his head.

"It's nothing, get some sleep."

"Are you in search of something? I can help you find it." She said to him.

"It's alright, really. I-" he paused. "Come to think of it, I think you can help me out,"

---

"I found it when I was cleaning up the pieces of mirror on the floor in office,"

Ashton followed her but stood right outside her room. When she emerged again, she placed in his hand a familiar necklace.

"I kept it safe because I knew that you will come for it one day," the man didn't even know how to express his gratitude.

"Thank you so much,"

"It was something I had to do. Seeing you two separated brought so much pain to you but I knew she still had a place I your heart." Maria said.

"I owe you a lot Maria, you just have to name it. Name anything and I'll do it for you," he said.

She cupped his face still, as short as she was and smiled affectionately at him. "I just need you to keep both yourself and her happy. That's all I want." He nodded.

"I'll keep her happy, it's a promise I make to the both of us."

---

"My goodness, I almost thought you stepped out," Thea said to him. She was already up for the day. Wearing her robe, she busied herself around the room. He had spent the rest of the time in his study.

She halted in her steps when she didn't receive a reply from him. She turned slowly to meet his stare.

"Did something go wrong?" He leaned on the door frame, just staring at her as she walked around, arranging the room. "Ash?"

"No, nothing. I was just..." He walked towards her and stood in front of her. "Wondering how i managed to have you to myself,"

She blushed. "What's with the sweet words this morning Ashton?" He wrapped his hands around her waist.

"I'm not even sure."

"Hmm" she carressed his chin. "You should have a reason for acting romantic with me early this morning," Thea leaned closer to him.

"Do I have to have a reason? I am the moon and you are the sun, we compliment each other perfectly, my love." Ashton said to her.

"I know that very well,"

He kissed her. "I'm glad you do." He moved away from her and pour himself a glass of water.

"So are you going to tell me why you are so happy his morning?" Thea asked folding her hands against her chest and turning to him.

"Nothing really, I'm a morning person." He shrugged and she rolled her eyes.

"Tell me something I actually haven't forgotten,"

"We are getting married in the weeks to come,"

She blushed again. "What's gotten over you this morning?" She shook her head in disbelief.

"I'm telling you, it's nothing. Lately I've just been thinking,"

"Well what have you thought about?" She asked walking closer to him.

"So many things, sometimes I wonder why I let you be far from me all these while. It took a lot in me not to seek you out for a long time."

"You didn't do anything Ash, it is me who's to blame." She placed her hands in his gently and she wat he'd as her hands connected firmly with his before staring back at him. And she said, "I let myself get swayed by your father's words and I let my thoughts go over drive. I promise I won't let it happen again,"

"As if I would let it," he muttered with a scoff.

"Really Ash, I'm serious here. I listened when he actually said that you would think that I am after your money. I never stopped to think that you actually love me beyond your money. I let the thoughts of you thinking that I am going to marry you for your money cloud my head and I took the step that broke us apart. Plus, me denying that your baby wasn't yours just to push you away in all."

"What were you even thinking?" He asked.

"I don't even know. I was kind of scared? When you finally found out that I was working at a club, I was afraid that you were going to find out the truth about my mother, it caused me a lot." She sighed.

"It caused us, our child," he said.

"I am really really sorry," she said with a lot of emotion clouding her voice. When she noticed that her eyes began to water again, she looked away from him.

"Look at me," After a while, he said and she stared right at him as he requested. "The next time, all you have to do, is tell me then we'll decide together. I would never choose my wealth or status over you and those you love for your sake. It's us against the world so you don't need to worry."

"I have no reason to worry because I know you would never think that of me and I'm ready to be yours forever."

"That's wonderful," A knowing smirk found itself growing on his lips which was contagious. A smile grew on her lips too as she nodded in reply.

He said, "Enough of the apologies now, it just 3 weeks away and I can't wait."

---

Samuel halted when he sighed the figure that awaited him beyond the flowery garden. He looked around the quiet environment, wondering why she called him here.

Dawn Michaels...

Sensing his presence, she turned and locked eyes with him. Her breath hitched in her throat unconsciously. Seeing his again was making her nervous all over again. She mentally cursed at herself for showing little self control.

"Miss Michaels,"

"Samuel," she said.

"Why am I here?" He asked after sighing.

She unfolded her hands from her chest immediately. "I needed to tell you something important," she paused.

"Well, go ahead." He urged, hiding his hands in his pockets.

"The thing is...." He raised a brow when she hesitated. "I wanted to tell you that I..."

"You?" He urged patiently.

She sighed, muttering the courage to finally let the cause of several thoughts out, through her lips. "I think I like you,"

Samuel's eyes widened unconsciously in surprise. Coming here, he thought,  was surely not what he expected.