35|the heart

---

"How do you need so much vegetables?" Fiona asked as she moved along with Thea.

"It's for Mrs. Isleen, my neighbor. She wanted me to help her fetch some of them. She's all alone and a vegetarian, it's the least I can do." Thea said to her.

"Hm," Fiona grabbed some carrots. "How much is this?"

"20 shillings," Fiona nodded. "She will need fresh carrots, won't she?"

"She loves them so much."

"How are you really faring Thea? I mean i heard what happened, I am worried about you." Fiona sad to her as they walked away from the seller.

"I am okay. Not that I am not worried, I am, really but I believe Ashton is doing all he can to keep me safe."

"He shouldn't even be after you, what if this is his own trick? What if...em if he just wants to use you as an excuse to lure Ashton out. After all, you had nothing to do with his jail sentence." Fiona said to her and for a moment there, she thought about it.

"I have everything to do with his jail sentence Fiona. I wouldn't really matter anyways, Ashton and I plan to go away from the city by tomorrow. Before we get back, they should have caught him and then we wouldn't have to worry anymore." Lowering her voice, Thea said to her and Fiona nodded.

"Okay,"

The figure arranged his hoodie above his head properly so one would miss his face. Thea and Freya stopped few steps away from him while he stood behind them.

"Hey mister, are you buying anything?" Jace who was listening in on their conversation, raised his head at the woman in shock. Recollecting himself, he lowered his head and shifted his hoodie. "Are you?" Jace shook his head before scurrying away so he wouldn't be recognized. He brushed shoulders with Thea accidentally.

"Hey!" She tried saying. He didn't look back, he didn't dare. "Mannerless pig!"  After a while, they both burst out in laughter.

"Mannerless pig? Really?" Fiona shook her head in amusement.

---

"Hey," Ashton turned at the sound of her voice. He was having his morning coffee as usual by the kitchen counter. Thea had been living with him since her mother passed away and he was already use to her presence anyways.

"Took you long enough," he placed the cup back on the counter.

"Sorry," she chimed. "I went to the market to get some vegetables for my neighbor."

"You what?!" She froze.

"I did go with Fiona," she said and he folded his hands and she watched his biceps flex. "I wasn't alone and the area was almost crowded, I was safe."

"I don't understand why you don't get it Thea. Jace is out there, looking for you and you thought it was the best time to go to the Market?" She swallowed.

"But I wasn't alone. I made Fiona go with me." She insisted.

"It still wouldn't change anything, if he had taken you, Fiona can't do a thing. What if he was there at the market?"

"He wouldn't have taken me, I was safe." She argued.

"Because I made sure of that. I have people follow you everywhere you go, People you don't even notice." He said to her.

"Then why are you so bothered, nothing is going to happen to me."

"It's because you never listen to me! You always do what you want to do, when you want to!" He blurted out and she flinched in surprise.

"Won't you just listen to me for once? Go out with me or Samuel if you want to go out with someone, until we are out of the city for good." He said with finality before drinking the remains of his coffee and heading inside.

---

A member of the police force shook his head through the space where the door was supposed to lock.
"Mr. Peterson, someone wants to see you,"

"Is it important, I'll be done in a minute. He can wait till I'm done."

"It's a she actually, and don't you think you should see what she has to say." He said.

"Jonathan, give me a minute and I'll be out." The man nodded, walking out of the door.

It didn't take up to a minute and Jonathan came running back. Barging through the door.

"It's Jace, she says she saw him."

---

Thea's arms went around his waist tightly. "I'm sorry,"

He shut the file close immediately but didn't turn to her yet. He was standing by his safe, sorting through his files for the one he wanted to work on.

"I didn't intend to make you mad. O just wanted to do something for Mrs. Isleen before I left. She usually took care of my mother for me when I wasn't home. So I thought I could get her favorites as a means of gratitude. I'm sorry."

He took her hand his his and turned to face her.

"I just need you safe that's why I'm Mad at you. You could have went with  me or Samuel or any of the men but you decided to go alone." He said.

"I'm sorry, it won't happen again. I'll go with you or Samuel next time."

"Promise?"

"Sure. I promise," she said. He nodded aiming to return to what he was formally doing. But she snatched the file before he could get it open and his it behind her back.

"Thea," he chimed in warning.

"You work all the damn time, it's time to give your girl some attention now."

"Hmm, is that so?" He said inching closer with steps very little.

"Yes," she raised her head to match his stare. He reached for the file swiftly but she was quicker, and she dashed away from him.

She heard him curse behind her and she burst out into a fit of giggles. Standing at the other side of the bed, she stuck her tongue at him.

"Give me the file Thea," he said again, walking closer to the edge of the bed.

"All I'm asking for is an hour,"

"Okay, you can sleep in my bed all night and day when we get to Vienne so let me work please." He said but she shook her head.

"Fine then, I'll just come get it myself."  He muttered. Studying her movements, he knew she was going to make a run across the bed if he went around the bed. So he did that. Striding towards where she stood, she yelped and dashed aiming to run fast across the bed but he intercepted her. Rolling them so that he was on top.

"Caught you,"

She cursed. "Now give me the file Thea,"

"No."

"No?" He watched as she held it tighter far away from the both of them.

"No." She said again.

"You should reconsider, I am a better advantage than you. Just let me have it." He insisted but she shook her head.

He smirked. He knew she would say that. Sliding her hands up the shirt she wore, she froze.

"What....what are you doing?! This is..." His hand reached the line of her bra. "You're cheating."

"You never told me the rules." He tease.

"Rule number one, don't touch me!"

"Too late," he commented then grazed his hand over her nipple gently. She felt herself feel light headed for a moment. Shutting her eyes, she held in a breath. He drew himself closer to her ear and whispered.

"I got it," her eyes immediately opened as he lifted himself from her.

"You... evil.... incorrigible.... disgusting," he raised a brow at her outburst then shook his head in amusement. Finally, he opened the file to where it was before he shut it, and walked into the adjoining room.

Thea collapsed on the bed in defeat.