1

The orange standing tape scratched my fingers as I wrapped it around the old horses legs. It's legs were swollen and retaining fluid but no tendon or ligament problems.

"We're down four horses, and I'm three wranglers short. There's no way we're gonna get all those fucking cattle loaded today. It's just not possible."

The voice sounded frustrated and impatient and maybe even a little hopeless. I looked up to see a man with long hair under a brown cowboy hat standing at the door way of the barn me and this horse were in. He leaned against the frame, facing out. He didn't even realize I was in here, he was too wrapped up in his own problems.

"I- yeah. Yeah, I get that... I'll let Rip know... He can get it done... Yeah...I've gotta take care of a problem out by McKinneys Ranch and then I'll be back...Alright. Bye." He shoved the phone in his pocket. "Fuck." I heard him quietly curse.

"If it makes ya feel any better you're only three horses short." I spoke up with a teasing and positive tone. He sounded like he needed some positivity.

He turned around. Confused at first. "Shit, I didn't even realize you were in here."

"No biggie." I smiled and finished wrapping her leg.

"Are you the new vet? I didn't realize Dr. Stone was..." his words trailed off.

"He's still- I'm not the new vet. He still practices. Just helping for the summer." I nodded, babbling  then put the horses leg back down. He was silent for a minute. Just watching.

"So she's good to go?" He cleared his throat.

I unbuckled her bridle from the wall and scratched between her eyes. "Good as gold. Just some extra fluid on her legs, no tendons tore or anything. Maybe cut her back on the sweet feed and give her a few beers tonight." I started to walk her back to her stall.

He chuckled a little. "Really?"

I stopped and turned back to look at him. A little smile formed on my lips, realizing I made him laugh although with no intention too. "Yeah, it'll help her sweat out that fluid."

He nodded,"Alright, good to know." I put the horse back in her stall and grabbed my bag to leave. "I didn't catch your name." The cowboy spoke up to me this time.

I smiled again and looked at the ground to hide my blush from this handsome man. I glanced back up to him. "It's Ada."

"Ada." He blinked slowly at me. Not smirking but not smiling. His brown eyes looked warm and kind.

"And yours is?" I chuckled at how he was acting. A way most men never acted around me.

He chuckled too,"Kayce."

Kayce. Kayce Dutton. Of course it is.

"I've heard about you." I nodded and swallowed. All the girls at the clinic talked about him. How hot the new livestock commissioner was. Everyone knew who he was. I was only here for a few days when I first heard of him and now within the month, I've met him.

He sighed and said with a breathy voice,"I'm sure. I'm nothing like what anyone has told you."

I smiled and decided it was okay to flirt. That he was interested in me too. "Damn," I blinked slowly,"I liked what I've heard." I slung my bag over my shoulder and started to walk out.

It wasn't completely a lie. All the girls, especially Hannah, made him sound dreamy but dangerous. All the stories of all he went through and how tough him and his family are. Mostly all the people they killed. They say Kayce is Johns hired hit man. How no one messes with them because they're all so loyal to one another and would do anything to keep each other safe. It was something I ached for since I was a kid.