5

I tried to stay engulfed in my work. We were busy and Dr. Stone wasn't at the office as much. I was the only other one who cared for livestock. Everyone else was house pets and small animals. I woke up early and went out on calls then didn't get back until dark. Dr. Stone gave me the on call cell phone now. No more relaying calls, it went straight to me.

Around 5am the phone rang. I groaned and sat up quickly. Then cleared my throat to not sound so dead. "It's Ada."

"Ada, hey. Sorry, I thought I called Dr. Stone." It was a familiar voice. Kayce.

"You did but he's out today. Whatcha need?" I rubbed my eyes and yawned, already losing my patience for the day.

"I've got new horses coming in today. I was needing him to look over them before we kept 'em." He also had no patience today either.

"Yeah. I'll be there. What time are they being dropped off?" I stood up out of bed and started to change, expecting for Kayce to tell me they were already there.

There was silence on the other end of the line. "I don't mean anything by this, but it really needs to be Dr. Stone who checks them out."

I froze. Are you fucking kidding, is what I wanted to say. But instead I sighed. "I understand. But he's not available." I chewed on my lip. Please don't ask any questions.

"Ada, you don't understand-"

"I do. This is my job and I know what I'm doing." I said sternly. Kayce is not a crush, he is a client. And I know my work better than him. "Once again, Dr. Stone isn't available today. I would be more than happy to check them out. I just need to know a time so I can make arrangements. Now is this going to work out or are you still going to treat me like I'm incapable?" This was a confidence I only had when it came to work. I would've never spoke up before this way.

"It's fine. They're already here. Thanks." And then the line dropped.

I sighed and shook my head. This is gonna be a mess.

I jumped into whatever clean scrubs I could find and made my way to the ranch, dreading ever second and regretting what I had told to Kayce. It was rude and unprofessional. When I pulled up, there was a small trailer. A dingy looking one. Not what I was expecting. I jumped out of the truck and walked towards Kayce. I also started regretting not bringing a jacket, it was cold this morning.

"Morning." He nodded at me, barely even looking my way as he opened the gate on the horse trailer.

"Good morning." It came out as a small voice. I stepped over to look inside. I immediately realized why he didn't want me here. I nodded and sighed. I looked around, but didn't see a driver. I assumed he didn't want me to see him. "What the hell, Kayce?"

He dropped his head. "We do it all the time."

"You steal horses from other people?" I rested my hands on my hips. I stared at the brand on the boney hip that looked nothing like a Yellowstone brand.

"I don't want you involved. It's not that I thought you couldn't do it. I just didn't want you too." His eyes looked sad and tired. They were a little red too. Maybe he was sick. Or just tired.

"Why'd you take them?" I asked quietly.

"About to starve to death. Neighbor says the owner beats 'em. Figured we can break and take care of 'em here." He spoke lowly and softly. This morning voice he had was extremely sexy. It was raspy and deep.

Stay focused.

"Alright," I rubbed my face,"You want a copy of immunizations, ownership paperwork, anything else?"