21

I felt Kayce start to stir. His body was warm against my bare skin. The cabin was cold as usual. I inhaled deeply and stretched a little. Then I snuggled deeper into his warmth.

"I gotta get up." He whispered and lightly rubbed my back.

"You should just stay in bed with me today." I sighed and squeezed him.

He chuckled. It made me smile. I loved to hear him laugh. "I would give up everything to do that just once." He traced circles in my bare shoulders.

I propped my arm up on his chest and looked up at him. "When we're old you can." I said softly.

It was the first time I really thought about us in the future. We were constantly worried about life as it was in the moment, which isn't always a bad thing. But it is when you're worried about whether or not you'll be alive the next day.

"You think we'll make it 'til we're old?" He asked casually.

You think we won't? I wanted to say. But it sounded harsh in my head. I don't wanna argue. I want you to know I want us to make it.

"I'd give up everything to grow old with you." I played on the words he had just told me.

He didn't smile or agree. And that was okay. He didn't have to. At least he knew how I felt.

"I've gotta meet with the sheriff today. You want me to take you to the clinic and I'll pick you up when we're done?" He reached down and pushed my black hair over my shoulder.

"Yeah. I'd like that." I smiled. I liked the fact he was including me.

"Alright." He patted my back, gesturing for me to move so he could get up. I didn't move. "I gotta get up, baby." He chuckled, shaking his head. His hair fell in front of his face. He pushed it back and then put his hands behind his head. God he was hot in the morning.

"Ugh." I dramatically sighed and rolled over onto my stomach.

I heard him laughing as he got up. I smiled and closed my eyes, burying my face into a pillow.

Why couldn't every morning be like this?

His footsteps echoed through the room on the wooden floor. I drifted in and out of a light peaceful sleep. Like a Sunday morning sleep although it was Wednesday. The shower was on and steam rolled into the bedroom. I could smell the soap he always used. It was a comforting smell. When I came to the next time I heard him snapping the buttons on his shirt and then buckling his belt. A few moments later, I felt his body weight sinking the bed. He crawled up behind me and kissed my neck then down my shoulder and back. His facial hair tickled my skin lightly. He combed through my hair with his hand as the other arm held his weight off of my back.

I sighed happily. "You were in such a hurry earlier." I teased.

"I've always got time for you." He mumbled into my ear.

I grinned and rolled over. I draped my arms around his neck. He leaned down and kissed me gently. "If you don't stop now, you're really gonna be late." I peaked his lips quickly.

He smirked. "I know." His dark eyes looked happy for once. Thank god. I didn't know if I could ever make him feel this way again. "I'll come back to get ya in a few hours. Get some sleep, baby." He took my arm from his neck and put his lips to my hand, then laid it on my chest. I smiled a small, sleepy grin. Then off he went into the dark, cold morning.

I heard the front door close. I smiled at nothing specific.

This is that feeling again. That "grow old with me" feeling.

*****

The receptionist at the clinic greeted me as I pushed past the door leading to our exam rooms. Hannah leaned against the wall, staring at an X-ray all lit up.