23

Montana winters were long. Longer than I was use to. It made it hard to get things done when all I wanted to do was stay warm. The cold air was brutal, even in the barns. And it didn't matter how many layers of thermals or gloves or socks you put on, something still got cold. And the snow. It made everything wet and muddy and slippery. It was a mess all the time.

I slung around the heavy jugs of dewormer. Maybe it wasn't the ideal weather for this but these cattle couldn't wait any longer. It wasn't rainy or snowing today, just cold. The coldest it had felt in a while.

"How many?"

The voice echoed into the barn. Kayce. I grinned and looked out from behind the stall.

He leaned against the doorframe, looking out to the round pens. His phone pressed up to his ear and his hand shoved in my pocket. I stared at the familiar view. It wasn't even a year ago, I saw him there in the same position. He was cussing about not having enough horses. Then the next time I showed up, I got a real view of how he was to others. Harsh and impatient, until he realized it was me. Then he was caring and kind and sweet. He is two completely different people at times. I'm just thankful I get to see the good one.

"Alright. I'll be there."

He shoved the phone into his pocket and then hung his head and sighed.

I walked up to him quietly and spoke right before I rested my head on his back. "Everything okay?" I reached around and ran my hand across his chest.

"Everything's fine, baby." He grabbed my hand and squeezed. "What are you up to today?"

"Gonna start dewormer." I sighed.

He turned around and pulled me close to him. "Have one of the wranglers help ya. It's too cold for you to be out here too long." He pushed my hair over my shoulder.

I grinned a little smile at his over protectiveness. "I'll be fine, Kayce."

"No, I'm serious." He shook his head. "It's gonna get under 0 today. We're suppose to get a bad snow tonight."

I ruffled my brows. "Under zero?" I repeated. He nodded. "Okay. I'll just get the young ones done today."

"Good idea. Wranglers are gonna be busy trying to prepare incase we can't get out very far tomorrow. Try to catch them first thing when they get back." He grabbed my face and kissed the top of my head. "I got some work to do but I'll be back later."

"Promise?" I asked as he started to walk away.

He stopped with his back to me. He dropped his dropped his head and turned around. Then he opened his mouth but then he closed it. "C'mere." He mumbled, avoiding my eyes. I hurried to him and buried my face in his chest. I squeezed around him tight. "I'm gonna into town and get some paperwork done. And then I gotta stop at the reservation and take care of some horses. Then I'll be home. It might be after dark."

Please come home. I prayed. It's too cold for you to be out there.

*****

I picked up my phone and called Rip.

"Yeah." He answered.

"Hey. Is Kayce down there?" I asked nervously. "He said it could be after dark when he'd get back but I'm just a little worried."

"Nah. I haven't seen him since this morning." I heard Ryan and Colby in the back ground.

"Who Kayce?" Ryan's voice faintly said. Im assuming Rip nodded because he went on. "He's at the res. Monica's horses were stolen."

Then there was silence.

"Uh, yeah. He's not here. You want me to call him?" Rip stuttered on.

I swallowed hard. "Rip..." I closed my eyes and let out a sigh. "Did Ryan just say he's at Monica's?"

Rip cleared his throat. "Yes ma'am." He said.

I bit my tongue between my teeth. "Okay." I whispered. "Okay."

"Ya alright?" He asked hesitantly.

I had to think about it.

No. Not fucking really.

"Yeah. I'm good. Thanks, Rip." I hung up the phone and dialed Kayce's number.

It rang and rang and rang. No answer. Hell, he probably didn't have signal at the res.

Why didn't he just tell me they were Monica's horses? Not that that would've helped any but still. Why the hell is he helping her?

I paced around then called Hannah. No answer.

"Dammit." I cursed.

Then the power went out.

"Are you fucking kidding me..." I shook my head and looked outside for our wood pile. There was none. But I could still see a light on at the bunkhouse. If it gets too cold, I'll head down there.

My fire burned out quickly. It didn't take long for it to get too cold. The wind beat hard against the wooden house and soon I didn't know if I could stand it any longer.

Then Rip called.

"I'm coming to get ya. We just lost power and the wind is getting bad." Was all he said.

"Okay." I didn't argue. There was no reason. I was already freezing with layers on.

Soon Rip opened the door.

"How long have you been without power?" Then he looked to the fireplace. "You don't have any firewood?" He questioned.

I was already upset and frustrated so the questions put my on edge. "A couple hours. And no. Kayce was going to chop wood this morning but then he had to leave."

I swallowed hard. Leave to go to Monica's. I let out a shaky breath.

Rips face softened. "Grab your coat. C'mon."

I did so and then slipped on my boots.

The cold wind took the air from my chest as soon as we stepped outside. "Jesus, Mary, and Joesph." I mumbled as I got into the truck, shaking violently.

"It's bad." Rip put the truck in reserve and flew down the hill to the bunkhouse. I dreaded getting out again. I didn't know how he could see anything. It was a white out. I have had never seen anything like it.

He parked the truck and jumped out. I tried to push open my door but the wind was too strong. A few moments later, the door flung open, the piercing wind cutting my face and hands. I tucked my head down, trying to get the wind off my face. Rip reached in and grabbed me by the coat, pulling me out in one rough pull. My feet clumsily hit the ground and I staggered to walk. I had to squeezed my eyes shut. I reached back to find the truck but Rip wrapped his arm around my back and shoulders and trucked us to the door of the bunkhouse. The bunkhouse door flung open and smacked the cabinets behind it. We nearly fell in. Lloyd closed the door behind us.

I stood frozen, quite literally and figuratively. The fireplace crackled quietly in the background. A radio station buzzed and instead of the typically Texas Country music, it was a weather man stuttering along. When I opened my eyes, all the guys stared at me and Rip.

"Get that fire hotter. She's been out of power for a while and no fire. She's bout to freeze." Rip barked at the boys. Jake jumped up and grabbed some logs.

Rip touched my back and tried to move me. But I couldn't yet. I was still shaking. After a couple moments, I sighed.

If Kayce was here, we'd be at the cabin, curled up all warm and cozy in front of his fire place. Sipping a glass of bourbon or drinking a beer. Probably bare skinned.

My heart thumped harder.

That's probably what he's doing with her.

I stumbled to the fireplace. I wiped my face and leaned against the wall. "God, I miss Texas." I mumbled, rubbing my eyes.