15

Discretion: This chapter is a little gory and icky. Just a warning.

*****

I stood there in the pasture with everyone else as the helicopter flew away in the dark sky. It's red lights blinking at us until we couldn't see it any longer. What the hell do we do now? Go back to the bonfire and drink beer and wait for the news that he didn't make it?

Then it hit me. Jake.

"He said Jake did it." I looked up at Rip who was standing next to me. "I don't know what happened, or how-" I rambled on.

"It's okay. We'll figure it out." He squeezed my shoulder.

"We gotta... we gotta get him or something..." My voice cracked. "We gotta tell the police." I shivered from the cold air blowing through this little valley. I went to wipe my runny nose but noticed just before that I was still covered in Kayce's blood. I looked at my hands. It wasn't an unusual sight for me. I was use to the animal blood from surgeries or births or injuries. But never human blood. I stared at it and starting shaking.

"Let's get you cleaned up." Rip calmly walked me back to the truck. He opened the door for me. I stared in it. It was spotless. And I was most definitely wasn't.

"I'll ride in the bed. I don't wanna get it dirty." I shook my head and jump up on the tailgate. I assumed the guys would pile in the truck. But they didn't. They sat in the back with me.

It was a comforting feeling. We made it back to the ranch and into the barn. I stared at the massacre. The desks things and Kayces ripped shirt were on the ground everywhere and the entire top of the desk was covered in dirt and blood. Along with part of the floor and a small trail leading back to Kayce's truck. It was still running.

I sighed and stepped up inside the bloody truck.

"Ada, you don't have to-" Ryan started towards me.

"I'm already covered in it, anyway." I reached in and shut off the truck. I pulled the keys out and tucked in my pocket. The seat was stained red and it was all over the steering wheel and the door. A haunting hand print was smeared across the center console. There was even blood in the cup holder. My medical background told me it was likely congealing now since some time had passed.

The floor board had boot prints on the mat. Like he had walked through blood. His own? Or Jakes? Or someone else's? My mind started to run circles around itself about what possibly could have happened. Why the hell was he gone for so long today?

I had so many questions and so little answers. But I had plenty of blood.

There was so much blood. Everywhere.

I jumped down from the horrid truck and trudged to Rip. "He lost a lot of blood." My exhausted voice told him. "It's fucking everywhere." I shook my head.

"I know." He patted my back. "Let's go up to the cabin so you can wash off."

"I'm gonna finish cleaning up here first." I sniffled.

"No," He stepped in front of me. "Go clean up and I'll get you to the hospital."

I froze. Kayce's not dead yet. He was barely alive when the chopper flew off with him. But he was alive.

"Okay." I nodded and let Rip walk me up to the cabin. I rinsed my hands off with the water hose then went inside, hoping to trail as little blood as possible in the cabin. He stayed on the front porch while I jumped in the shower. The minute I was alone I regretted it.