6

Rip knocked on the cabin door. Seconds later, the door flung open.

"What?" Kayce asked hatefully, breathing heavy and hard. He glanced at me quickly.

"She's yours." Rip nodded to me and walked off the porch.

Kayce still looked pissed,"What's going on?" He asked in a hushed voice.

I shook my head and shrugged, holding out the folder with all the paper work he would need for the horses,"Nothing. Just dropping off the paperwork and antibiotics."

"Thanks." He opened the folder, scanning through the pages. "Looks good." He nodded,"Perfect, really."

I ignored the comments. "Antibiotics are in the truck. I didn't know if you wanted to start them tonight or in the morning." Please day in the morning.

He looked up from the paper,"'Mornings fine." Yes. Thank you.

"Alright, I'll leave them in the barn. Just holler if you need something." I turned to walk down the porch.

"Wait-" Kayce stepped out onto the porch with me. "You're already out here, you might as well stay as while." He gave a small smile.

"No, it's okay-" I shook my head.

"I know you're busy and don't have time to come out here." He let out a deep breath and cleared his throat,"But I'd like to take you out again. I had a good time."

"I did too." I smiled a little. I thought back to that night. How excited and happy he made me feel.

"Then stay." He gave me a deep look. On that I couldn't say no too. Not to those eyes.

"Okay." I whispered.

"Come on in." He gestured inside the house and I followed him into a living area. It was gorgeous house. "Lemme talk to dad real quick and then we'll head to my cabin." He took off in a different direction.

I sat down on the couch, nervous. My hands were sweaty and I felt a little awkward. Like a young girl waiting for a boys parents to leave except we were the ones leaving. He came back out moments later. "Ready?"

"Yeah." I hopped up and followed him out.

His cabin was cold. Like he had on the air all day, but now that it cooled off tonight, it was freezing in here. I folded my arms over each other and rubbed them, trying to warm them up a little. "You want a beer?" He asked.

"How about whiskey?" I teased and sat down on his couch.

"Whatever you want." He grabbed a glass whiskey bottle, half full, out of a cabinet. He brought over two small glasses and poured us a drink. He had it to me. I took a sip and it burned my throat but warmed my stomach.

"How you found a new wrangler yet?" I asked him.

He threw back the whiskey and sat the glass down. He wiped his mouth and shook his head. "No. Not yet." I nodded. "How's doc doing?" He asked quietly. He knew. I don't know how, but he knew.

I shrugged and stared at the brown liquid in my cup. I took another sip. "Not good. Hannah's freaking out, and she has every reason too but it's still taking a toll on hear." I sniffled a little. I was worried about Dr. Stone of course, but really worried about Hannah. She was shutting down. Not talking or laughing. Just worrying all the time.

"Pancreas?" He asked. I nodded. "Damn." He poured himself another glass then gestured the bottle to me. I finished off my drink then let him pour him another one. "So you've been running the clinic by yourself?"

"Yeah." I sighed, trying to relax and not seem so tense and nervous. I pulled my legs up and sat cross legged, facing him. It looked like a little smile pulled up on his face. "What?" I asked, smiling now.