26

It was cliche for it to rain today. Middle of winter in Montana, and it rained, not snowed. Anyone you spoke to today commented on it.

"I ain't seen this in the 60 years I've lived here."

"This'll make a muddy mess for sure."

"I bet them cattle are hating this."

"It's gonna tear up everyone's pastures even worse than they already are."

If I heard one more comment about the rain, I would pray for a flood.

Though, to be honest, it already came a flood. When it rained, it poured. And lord was it pouring.

*****

I stared down at the navy blue dress that sat on my legs. The small white polka dots bunched together and I started to count them. Anything to keep my mind off of what was happening. The preachers voice made that hard. He had a strong, loud sermon to give about life and death, past and present, and moving on.

"Though my flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever..."

His words rang out as he quoted from what I think is from the book of Psalm. I didn't like that this is the verse he chose. There were many more that would be better suited in our position here. Because in fact, science is what failed Dr Stone. Man failed Dr Stone. His heart and his flesh was healthy at one time and could have stayed that way, if only modern medicine persisted. But cancer was a devil that had yet to be killed.

Hannah sniffled beside me again. "Why did your dad want a Methodist preacher if he was catholic?" I leaned over and playfully whispered in her ear. "We're gonna be here until dark."

A little smile broke through on her face through the tears. She leaned over at me,"He didn't. But the priest said he started burning when he walked in the same room as us." Her voice was raspy and broken.

My jaw dropped a little and I lightly slapped her arm. She may have lost her father, but her sense of humor was still there. She grinned a little but it quickly turned into a contorted frown with tears furiously pouring out. I gave her a sad look, and reached around, grabbing her shoulder and pulling her towards me. She dropped her head down low onto my shoulder, her blonde hair falling. I felt her body become weak.

Ryan quickly looked over at me, noticing the change in position. I gave him the same look I gave Hannah. His eyes were cloudy as well, seeing his best friend in so much pain. Hannah audibly sobbed and I squeezed her tighter, as the preacher continued, trying to ignore and push through the poor daughters cries.

The preacher seemed to cut his sermon short when he realized the toll it was taking on us all. He dismissed us by rows, and since we were in the front, we were last. I was still holding Hannah and kept an eye out for when we needed to stand. But I caught a glimpse of a familiar face starting to stand in the one of the first rows that left.

Kayce.

I turned my head quickly to see if I was imaging it. His broad shoulders were covered with the grey suit jacket. It looked ironed but I knew he wasn't the one who had done it. He had asked for my help one before and when I tried to show him, there was no hope.

"It's not working." He mumbled from the ironing board. The iron made a swishing sound as he pressed harder.

I giggled and rolled my eyes as I put on the earrings Kayce had given me last night for what he called an "early Christmas gift", even though it was October. But I didn't mind. They were beautiful, small, gold hoops. Something I had been eyeing for months now. "Honey, I don't care to do it." I walked up behind him, placing my hand on his lower back.