Chapter 18: Going Home

The twins were growing strength-wise a lot and Lilia was able to go home today. Bailey, however, was a bit behind. They had surgery scheduled for him in a few days, to see what was going on with his lungs. But overall, Mer and Derek were ecstatic about their baby girl's ability to go home with them. 

"I feel bad leaving him here but bringing her home," Mer said to Christopher as he brought his daughter and granddaughter home. Derek was currently at work because even with some financial help from their parents, they needed to have some of their own money.

"That's life, honey. And here in a couple of weeks, you can hold both of them at home with nothing much as some oxygen on Bailey."

"I know. It just feels like I'm picking sides. Or totally disregarding my son."

"Mer, you aren't disregarding him nor are you picking Lilia over him. All you can do right now is hold Lilly, visit Bailey, and spend time with the family you have."

"I'm sorry." 

"What for?" Chris asked as he turned into the driveway.

"Getting pregnant way before I should have. Then, having twins at 15."

Christopher sighed before turning the car off and looking at her. "Mer, it takes two to make a baby. Derek is also responsible. So don't blame yourself. And I'm not worried about you having kids, I'm worried about how you are going to be able to raise them if you will be financially stable, and how your health is going to be affected. Other than that, as long as they don't call me grandpa, I'm fine. Make it sound less old."

Mer laughed and said, "Thank you, love you dad." And she got out to get her baby from the backseat.

---------

A little while later, Derek came home with the help of a friend who drives him home every day.

"You know, the perks of going through drive-throughs pay off," He told Mer.

She laughed and then asked, "What?"

"The girl who served us months ago and we told her you were pregnant, is the same girl who is the manager's daughter at Mcdonald's. She put in a good word and I got the job. Plus, she drives me home every day," Derek laughed, taking off his tennis shoes.

Mer was slightly jealous but mostly thankful, and Derek could read her like a magazine.

"Don't be jealous, Mer. She's a friend. And I think she knows I have kids, maybe not," He joked.

"Wow."

"Hmm?"

"We have kids..."

"Yes, we have for about a month and a half now, and technically nine months before that," He chuckled and crawled into bed with Meredith who was holding Lilly.

"Smartass. I don't know. Now, it's all..."

"Real?"

"Yea."