1 | ᴀᴅʀɪғᴛ ɪɴ ᴀᴇᴛʜᴇʀ

Warnings: swearing

Word count: 1278

•...-----☆ ᴀᴅʀɪғᴛ ɪɴ ᴀᴇᴛʜᴇʀ ☆-----...•

I never wanted to be a Hero.

And yet here I am. Sitting in seat number seven (Ironic, that. Shichi. Just like me. Shi and chi.*) and zoning out as my new classmates chatter. Loud. So loud.

//* Shichi is seven in Japanese, while shi is death and chi is blood//

A bright pink bubblegum girl jumps on top of the table next to me and sticks out a hand. "Hey there! Ooh, cute gloves!"

I stare at her, hands twitching. Dingdingding, screams my brain, three notes of terror echoing down my arms. I tilt my head at her, uncertain. She stares right back at me, and my panic starts to rise as the silence presses in around us. What happened? It was so loud before, but now the absence of noise is drowning me.

What happened? What happened? What did you do, did you do, did I--

"Eight seconds to shut up." The voice echoes through the classroom, shattering my train of thought. Ding, ding, ding. Haha.

My eyes slide over to the door, where a yellow sleeping bag is entering the classroom. It begins a monologue, in which we are informed that:

One, we as a class suck.

Two, the sleeping bag is our teacher.

Three, we almost definitely suck but our teacher the sleeping bag needs to confirm this fact.

And that is how I end up with a softball in my hand.

"Oi, hurry up and throw it already, Floats!" Porcupine boy yells.

I turn around to stare at him and throw the ball over my shoulder, not bothering to activate my Quirk.

"Seventy-eight metres," Aizawa-sensei monotones. "Hoshizora, if you intend to slack off in my class, I'll expel you right now."

I shrug. I never wanted to be a Hero.

We make our way through long-distance jumping, grip strength, side steps, races and all the other typical physical tests we've all been through a thousand times.

I can feel the energy around me expanding and buzzing as my classmates enthuse over free use of their Quirks.

I agonize over such a freedom. What use is my Quirk? It causes only suffering.

I fold in on myself, using my talent and power to conceal my talent and power. If I adjust the average strength to that of those accepted into a Hero course and work from there...

I failed.

It is an unfamiliar thought, at least in this context. Weakness and time are entwined with failure in my mind.

But looking up at the scoreboard, seeing my name up there...

I failed. I failed, failed, failed, I fell from the sky and fought not to drown. What did we do? Ding ding ding. Murderer.

"Hey, don't worry!" Ashido says, noticing me sigh. "Third place is great!"

I blink slowly at her. "That's the problem. I was aiming for tenth..."

I am vaguely aware of her shock as I close my eyes. How did I miscalculate the strength of my class? Did I forget to..?

No.