22 | ʜᴇᴀᴠᴇɴs ɪɴᴄᴀʀɴᴀᴅɪɴᴇ

Warnings: Blood, a nightmare that's kinda similar to the start of Chapter 19: Kishi Kaisei

Word Count: 1544

☆-----...•ʜᴇᴀᴠᴇɴs ɪɴᴄᴀʀɴᴀᴅɪɴᴇ•...-----☆

I fiddle with my moon clip. It's in one of my pockets, a different one to Akira's heart.

"Hm? What are you on about? You're going to be my friend, Minmi!"

I'm sitting on the roof again. It's been about a week since we settled into the dorms, but despite the constant flow of people inside, this desolate seat is the only place I don't feel so alone. Up here, it's just me and the sky, sky, sky. Big and blue. I stretch out a hand, hold it up in front of the clouds. The moon may be on the other side of the earth, but the stars are up there. Hidden behind the blue, blue, blue sky.

I shuffle around, letting my legs cross and spread out. Taking a piece of paper out of my pocket, I spread it out and tilt my head to study it.

The plan to the dorms seems a bit simplistic. Not every room's labelled, let alone every measurement.

I broke a hole in the exact centre of my room the other day and discovered it was not in the exact centre of Hagakure's. Then I discovered it's not at all convenient to have a hole in your floor and had to fix it. But I'd already learned what I needed to.

My hair lifts off my shoulders, tiny jumps as the wind nudges it.

Ah. The pieces click into place. There's a room between Mina's and mine. Probably only a very small one, but an empty space nonetheless.

"I wonder what they're keeping in it," Mina says when I tell her, wrapping a scarf around my shoulders in case I try going up to the roof again.

"Or who," I say.

"Ooh, yeah. Maybe it's a secret student who needs protection."

"I hardly think putting someone in a coffin-sized room with very little-- if any-- food and water and surrounding them with nosy teenagers is a good way to keep them hidden."

"Well." Mina bites her bottom lip. "Maybe they're keeping a super important, unstable piece of support gear in there!"

"There's only one way to find out." I shoo her hands away from my neck. I've been looking at my walls and their weight, and there's a spot that doesn't seem quite right. It could be a door of some sort.

I'm going to kick it down.

Marching into my room, I plant hands on hips as I assess the wall. Mina yelps and dives out of the way when I turn, back up, and run. My foot hits the weird point in the wall and open swings a door.

"Oh, wow," says Mina.

The room looks dusty. Like I thought, it's empty: nothing but grey walls, floor, ceiling. I walk in, head turning to take in all of the rather anticlimactic and boring glory.

OW!

My thoughts are interrupted by stabbing pain drilling through my head. I wince, hand rising to press against the ache as I stumble, leaning on a wall in an effort to hold myself up.

...huh?

My head feels warm where it meets my hand. I lower my arm, trembling, and my stomach twists at the red dripping down, seeping through the thin gloves, my pathetic attempt to hide it.