ii. we can't live without you

Rosalie and Emmett didn't show up to school the next day

Rosalie and Emmett didn't show up to school the next day. Elizabeth was worried. Things had definitely changed after the incident at hers and Bella's birthday party the night before. Elizabeth and Bella pulled into their driveway after school to see Rosalie and Emmett on the steps, and Edward waiting by the woods. Elizabeth got out of her car and unbuckled Landon from his car seat. She silently walked up the front steps and past Rosalie and Emmett. She unlocked the door with Landon on her hip and gestured for her mates to go inside.

They entered and Emmett and Rosalie walked into the kitchen while Elizabeth put Landon upstairs in his crib for a nap. She walked back downstairs to see Rosalie and Emmett in the same place that she left them. Just standing in the middle of her kitchen. Emmett sighed. "Listen, Elizabeth, there's no easy way to say this." He said. Elizabeth realized what was happening. "You guys are leaving, aren't you?" She asked. Rosalie nodded. "We're sorry. It's not our choice." She said. Elizabeth bit the inside of her cheek. She nodded. "Remember, you're not just leaving me. You're leaving the little boy up there who is completely in love with you both." She said, pointing upstairs.

"We're not leaving you. We're just leaving Forks. We're not breaking up with you." Rosalie exclaimed. "You're our mate." Emmett said. "We can't live without you." He continued. "We can do long distance." Rosalie said. Elizabeth nodded. "Yeah, yeah. We can text, email, video chat." She said. "Every day." Emmet said. "We're not leaving you, or our son." Emmett said. Elizabeth's heart swelled. The fact that her mates not only accepted her, but her son as well, made her so incredibly happy. "It would be too painful to be without you guys." Elizabeth admitted. "We know." Rosalie said as they wrapped their arms around their human mate. "We love you."

***

Bella had gone missing. After her and Edward had disappeared into the woods, she never came back. Charlie had called all of his friends and a few of his coworkers to help search for her. It was already way past Landon's bedtime and they were still looking. "I'm going to try the Cullens' place again." Charlie said, picking up his cellphone. "Dad, it's not gonna work. They left." Elizabeth told him. Charlie turned to face his daughter. "They what?" He asked. Elizabeth nodded. "Honey, are you okay?" He asked. Elizabeth nodded again. "Yeah, Rose, Emmett, and I are gonna do long distance." Charlie opened his mouth to say something but Jacob spoke up before he could.

"Charlie." He said, and they turned to face where he was looking. Sam Uley, a member of Jacob and Billy's Quileute Tribe walked out of the forest with Bella in his arms. "She's alright." He said. Charlie ran over and grabbed her. She was unconscious. Elizabeth smiled over at Sam before rushing inside after her father and sister.

                                                                                                ***

"Elizabeth!" Angela called out to the blonde girl as she went to go sit with Bella at the Cullens' old table

"Elizabeth!" Angela called out to the blonde girl as she went to go sit with Bella at the Cullens' old table. Elizabeth turned to face the other girl. "Come sit." She said. Elizabeth smiled and sat down with her old friends. "It feels like we haven't seen you in forever." Mike said. Elizabeth shrugged. "It's only been a couple weeks." She said. "Well, yeah, but since the Cullens left you've been kinda distant." Eric pointed out. "I've just been trying to spend more time with my son." Elizabeth said. "Slut." Jessica said, covering it up with a cough. "What did you just call me?" Elizabeth asked.

"You heard me." Jessica responded. "You got knocked up at fifteen and then you go and date two people at the same time. You only knew them for like a week and then you start dating them? It's obvious you just wanted to get in bed with them. Then after a month you consider their family yours? And you still wear that stupid necklace they gave you even after they left and dumped your ass?" Jessica ranted. It didn't affect Elizabeth. "Jessica, you don't understand our relationship and you never will. So stop trying." She said. "And I still wear this necklace because, news flash, we're still together." She continued before grabbing her lunch tray and stalking over to where Bella sat.

She slammed her lunch tray on the table and Bella didn't even look up. "Bella." No answer. "Bells." She tried again. "Isabella." Still no answer. Elizabeth rolled her eyes. Bella had taken it worse than she had. The Cullens all went no contact with Bella. Rosalie claimed it was because Bella was a danger to their family, and frankly, Elizabeth didn't disagree. Elizabeth's phone soon went off. It was Rosalie. Elizabeth smiled before texting her mate back. "Who are you texting?" Bella finally spoke up. "Rosalie." Elizabeth responded, not thinking anything of it. Bella's eyes snapped over to her twin.

"You still talk to them?" She asked. Elizabeth nodded. "Yeah. We're shared mates, Bella. I'd die if I didn't." She explained. "How come none of them talk to me?" Bella asked. "Because you're Edward's blood singer. We can't be for sure that you're his mate. Your clumsy ass is the reason we're in this mess." Elizabeth told her sister. Bella stayed silent. "Bella, you're my sister, and I love you. But being so depressed isn't going to make them come back." She continued before grabbing her phone and leaving the cafeteria.

                                                                                                ***

Elizabeth tossed and turned in bed all night. The warmth of the night was almost too overwhelming for her. She was so used to having Emmett and Rosalie's cold bodies up against her all night. And even though they were freezing, it brought comfort to Elizabeth. Now, it was just too warm. She tossed the covers off of her and walked towards the mirror. She looked at her reflection. Her eyes were sunken in with dark circles underneath them from the lack of sleep. Her eyes snapped away from her reflection once she heard Bella screaming. Nightmares of Edward leaving haunted her sleep every night.

Landon started crying. The screams woke him up once again. Bella didn't realize that this wasn't just hurting her. It was hurting Elizabeth. It was hurting Landon. And it was hurting Charlie. All of their lives had been changed. Elizabeth picked Landon up from his crib and rocked him back and forth until him and Bella had both calmed down. Elizabeth started singing softly and lulled Landon back to sleep. She kissed him on the forehead and placed him back in his crib before she walked back over to the mirror again.

Now that her mind wasn't distracted, the heat overwhelmed her again. She ripped her pants and shirt off, leaving her in just her underwear. She looked at her body in the mirror and her eyes drifted down to the teeth marks on her skin. She lightly traced her fingertips over them and flashed back to when Emmett and Rosalie marked her. The feeling brought her some comfort, and she crawled back into bed and fell asleep with a smile on her face.