Chapter 56

"I don't plan on going to Vincent's for a while, so you better not go there again!" Riley said, the next day over breakfast.

Lillian simply nodded her head in return, scrolling through her phone.

"Mom is hosting a family dinner. Are you interested in coming?" Riley asked with a her head ducked as she munched on her toast with one of her eyebrow raised.

"I will be busy." Lillian replied.

She wasn't part of their family so it made no sense why she would be there during family dinners.

Though she lived with them for about 2 years. She, ultimately, was nothing but a stranger to them.

She saw Stacy and Benjamin as a nice and loving couple who took her in- eventhough they didn't have too- because she reminded them of their daughter.

And she didn't want to take advantage of their kindness by intruding on their private family time.

Riley rolled her eyes hearing that. She didn't even say when it'd be held! She somehow always had an excuse to not go to family dinners!

But, she had gotten used to her sister turning her down everytime she asks her to come to one of those dinners and gave up on trying to force her to come after how it backfired on her the first time.

She felt down when Lillian turned her down the first time- about a month after they moved into their apartment- and was sulking for a while so Lillian eventually agreed to go reluctantly the next time Riley asked her to join her, making Riley grin like a Cheshire cat.

But on that night Lillian messaged her telling her she had some unfinished work to do and to go without her.

She twisted her brain, wondering if it was an excuse or she actually had some unfinished work to look over. But since Lillian actually did work over time, she had no way of knowing whether she forced herself to do it or if it was just a coincidence.

So Riley started simply asking her if she wanted to go or not, hoping she'd say 'yes' sometimes.

~~~~

"Come with me to the family dinner." Issac pleaded showing his infamous puppy dog eyes.

Lillian felt a familiar warm fuzzy feeling that she was beginning to grow accustomed to inside her, when she saw his face.

He looked cute.

Lillian shook her head in response. But she didn't open her mouth to give an excuse. She felt like he could see through her. Even if the excuse sounded real, as if he knows what the actual reason was.

He was..... unique. She noticed he had changed a lot over the years. Similar, yet different.

He was the same 5 years back but he was more mature and level headed now. Someone who knows what he wants and does his best to get it.

Lillian felt herself the edge of her lips kick up unconsciously, realizing she was one of the things he wanted.

But... what about her? Sure, she liked him but.. is that all? She had a hard time recognizing her feelings but she had gotten accustomed to having him around and knew she didn't want to lose him. But she wasn't aware of the depth of her feelings.

If it is only liking then it doesn't seem fair on Issac, no matter how much he denies it. It just wasn't fair.

"Why not?" He asked, stirring his coffee with a straw. He didn't have to hear her say it, he just knew why she was reluctant in attending.

She didn't have any issues going to any other dinners or parties (having seen her in pictures on Riley's Instagram), though she seemed lonely with no one by her side.