Chapter 57

Riley marched towards the computer room as soon as she entered her work place.

Casey had sounded anxious when she spoke to her the day before, which made Riley curious as to what she had found. Was it about the brothels? Her biological parents?

Riley would much rather prefer it to be about the brothels, is she was being honest. She didn't want anything more to do with her biological parents.

She stayed up all night thinking how to break the news to them, should she just ghost them? It didn't seem right. Laura might be devastated if she learns her daughter had ghosted her.

Grrr. Riley groaned in annoyance. Why did she even care about how Laura feels?

Her conversation with Zach made her wonder if Vincent was neglectful with Max too. But it wouldn't make sense. They seem close the two times she saw them together. And considering how Vincent had told him that Riley was pretending to have lost her memories, it was easy to push that thought aside.

But would Laura really just brush it off? If she said what happened to Lillian?

She couldn't see that happening- but she couldn't see Laura divorcing her husband either. The edges of her upper lip curled up in aversion.

Or maybe it was easier to picture her in a bad light since Riley didn't want to feel guilty for 'abandoning' the one that gave birth to her.

"Casey's not here yet?" Riley asked Sean- who was in the room- looking around the room for the familiar face.

"No. It's surprising, she left quite early yesterday." Sean replied, with a frown.

Riley nodded in response. Riley had a bad feeling about it. Casey hadn't been late even a single day ever since she had joined the FBI, though it was like her to leave work early when she had nothing to do- but her call yesterday, begged to differ.

"Did we manage to find the girl?" Riley asked, sitting on in one of the revolving chairs in the room.

"I think you left your brain at home, we already know her location, since the Instagram post was linked with the brothel's location." Sean said before jogging a stack of papers against the table top, to create a perfect alignment amongst them.

Riley thinned her lips when she heard him. Why did she feel like she had just been dissed?

She maintained that expression as she watched him leave the room, before rolling her eyes and leaning against the chair.

She wondered when Casey would come? Riley had been tossing and turning all night, trying to arrive to a conclusion why Casey would call her last night. The conversation just felt weird.

As Riley was deep in her thoughts, the door of the room was slammed open by Casey- startling Riley.

"You're here." Casey panted out, seeing Riley with her back stiffened.

"Breathe."

Casey followed Riley's instruction and took a few deep breaths. She overslept after staying awake half the night trying to dig more information about Riley's biological family.

"You won't believe this." Casey stated with a serious look- that was starting to freak Riley out.

Riley looked worried. What was it about? She thought in anticipation. But she couldn't help but be a little concerned too. She had never seen Casey be so horrified of something.

"Your biological family used to run an illegal human experimentation program."

Riley blinked once. Trying to process the information. Twice. Wondering it was a joke. Thrice. Not finding it funny.