Chapter 56

"Lady Croft."

None other than the Marquis Paren called me.

"Your Honor."

"Haven't seen each other for a long time, Ellie."

"Really. I couldn't even dream that I would meet the Marquis again on such a day."

The Marquis laughed.

"That was the request of the Emperor... And I was indebted to Sir Croft."

"I know it was not an easy step."

"No. I would not wish Sir Croft to be judged by anyone else."

"We made the old man worry. Sorry, marquis."

The marquis smiled at my father's words.

"Nothing like this. Rather, it was nice to get some air, to stand in the air for a while. And it's all thanks to you. Plus, today I saw such a rare sight."

The marquis's gaze slid to the side of the bags of money.

It was contrary to the dignity of the nobility to drag sacks of gold into the hall and throw them on the floor.

I was proud of the way I rubbed my nose to other nobles today. But when I looked at Paren, I was a little embarrassed.

Marquis Paren was as big a figure as my father.

I said in indecision:

"God, I just threw out something unworthy."

"Ha-ha, but no. As I just said, it was fun for me to walk and get some air. Did you see how this whole pack opened their mouths?"

The Marquis laughed and said, looking at me.

"And... It's nice to know that the current you are so confident in yourself. Unlike the past."

The image he remembered was "always one step behind Raymond."

"I don't want to sit in someone's shadow anymore, so I gained strength."

"Good. If you have the strength, you will be able to protect the Croft family in the future."

The Marquis came a step closer to us.

"Duke, young lady. As you both might have guessed, Count Barten was not the main organizer. He would never have been able to do that. Surely... Someone else is behind this."

"Yes, we know."

"And maybe that man won't give up on his plans for the Croft family. The lion cub has grown his teeth, and now he wants your throat."

The symbol of the Sios family was the lion.

Marquis Paren so hinted to us to follow the Marquis Sios. He, too, noticed who exactly was behind Count Barten.

"Don't worry. Everything will be good."

"Yes, I think it will come true at the suggestion of the young lady. Ellie has grown so much. The Duke will be proud of you."

Marquis Paren laughed.

"Then I will go to His Majesty, to report to him on the results of the proceedings. I can't wait to see his surprise when we get to the details."

Raymond.

Now I'm nervous. After all, very soon he will hear about me.

And then he will come.

He's been looking for me so zealously all this time. Naturally, he will come as soon as he hears that I have come to court.

Having returned to the empire, I have already met him twice by chance, but in fact he did not even recognize me.