Chapter 80

Raymond babbled with his lips as if his reaction was about to erupt.

But in the end we only got this oppressive silence.

The friendly atmosphere of that moment was just a mirage.

His eyes darkened as if he were in pain, but that's why I didn't regret drawing the line again.

At the moment when I accepted that necklace as a gift, I decided - you need to clearly define your position.

From whatever angle you look at it, this necklace was not just a gift to me.

But I no longer wanted to wonder what had settled there in the heart of the giver.

I didn't want to love him again, to get bogged down in this quagmire again, as it was in the past.

I opened my mouth and broke the heavy silence.

"Sire. I have requested an audience to express my gratitude to His Majesty for your precious gift to Duke Croft. I don't know how we deserve such generosity."

Raymond opened his hitherto tightly compressed lips.

"The Duke Croft is my most loyal vassal. It's natural on my part."

"My father said he was grateful to His Majesty for such a broad gesture. And in the future, the Duke will remain His Majesty's faithful servant."

"Okay. I wish him a speedy recovery."

The conversation was ritual, with no personal feelings mixed in.

"Thanks. Then I have to go."

"Yeah."

I got up and walked away.

Then I turned halfway and threw him one last:

"Sire. The past is in the past."

I slowly looked around the garden and added:

"I still hope that His Majesty will be able to forget about the past"

Raymond was silent.

At least he didn't rush to stop me now. As if my intentions were available to him.

I didn't want to see him anymore, so I turned away and left without regret.

***

The day before the appointment.

The workers of the estate brought beauty to the mansion, because there was only a day left.

And even though such a busy schedule was tiring, the faces of the people shone with happiness. After all, this was the first reception at the estate after the line of misadventures.

While the whole estate was seething with bustle, a certain carriage stopped in front of the ducal gates.

It was a rather shabby carriage to claim that a nobleman had arrived in it. But the coat of arms on the door showed that the passenger belonged to the upper class.

The butler walked over to the young lady and bowed politely to her.

"Milady Celine, welcome to Duke Croft."

Rosalyn smiled at the precious moment of hospitality that had been forgotten in recent years.

"Thanks."

"My mistress is waiting. I will take you to the office. "

Rosa Celine straightened her dress and followed the butler to the duke's office.

"Hurry here, lay it out."

I laughed merrily when I saw Celine on the doorstep. Rosalyn also came up to me with a wide smile.