Inhumation

INHUMATION
⠀⎯♡ The wooden case surrounding your friend's chosen photo, the clear light shining overhead on the glass, and your doleful expression reflecting off the glass. The drenched tissues collect your grieving tears.

It has been weeks, but you still can't accept it. She is gone and it doesn't feel right, as if she was snatched from you.

You feel a gentle rubbing on your shoulder that leads you to look up at your friend's mom. "How are you holding up, honey?" She is concerned for you, but she doesn't look that well herself.

Her watery eyes, crimson face, and puffed cheeks are tired from all the weeping and stressing.

In a sense, it is as if you are looking at your reflection in a mirror.

"I'm," your eyes start to water, "I'm trying."

She meekly smiles at you grasping at your hand to rub it in a consoling manner, "I know, I know."

"It's just that she never bothered anyone, she looked out for her friends, and I, I just don't understand," you choke on your tears. "How could someone want to hurt her? Who would want to?"

"Y/n," a voice beckons you.

It is H/n swishing the keys around his finger.

You sigh as the woman releases your hands and bids you goodbye as H/n takes your free hand to lead you to the front.

"You ready to leave? We can stop by your favorite restaurant or try to convince your mom to cook. I'm pretty sure she'd love to." He suggests lowly as you both weave through the crowd.

He had made you promise earlier that you would eat something as it has been a while since you have consumed any food.

You aimlessly stare at him shrugging your shoulders, "The restaurant is fine."

"Alright give me a minute to grab our coats and use the bathroom before we head out. I'll be right back," he states before giving you a comfortable smooch on your forehead and fleets upstairs.

You smile weakly as you watch him fade away from your sight. You begin to rub your arms as you stand off to the side, observing the grieving party.

"Excuse me?" Someone calls out startling you.

The guy has what resembles a mullet with curtain bangs, but it is shaped fancily for the occasion. He has a big build, which is demonstrated as the suit tightens around his muscles. His face remains sharp, but his expression appears mournful.

Weirdly, he reminds you of H/n, but just a bit.

"I came to offer my condolences. I heard you were the one to hold the funeral, it's beautiful," he speaks calmly offering his hand out to take.

"Thank you, did you know her well?" You reach for his hand.

"Yes for about two years, we met before she moved to this area. What about you?" He replies rubbing your hand.

"We met in middle school, been friends ever since," you comment with a low smile.

"It seems she made a great one friend, listen I'd love to..." he trails off seeing H/n arrive.

H/n eyes begin to darken at the sight of his hands clinging to you. What is that guy doing to you?

H/n puts on a polite smile grasping the guy's wrist harshly, "Can we help you?"

The guy replies while locking eyes with H/n, "We were just chatting." He grabs H/n's wrist to release his hold before eyeing him up and down.

"Well then, we'll be leaving," H/n grasps your hand roughly before opening the door.

"Ah, Miss?" The guy calls out to you, "I'll be staying in town for a while, would we be able to meet up?"

"Sure we can arrange something," you respond softly. H/n tightening grip on your wrist doesn't go unnoticed.

"Alright then, have a good afternoon," he bids you farewell with a wave of his palm. He observes H/n's demeanor as his hand remains wrapped around your wrist.

You politely bow, before almost tripping out of the door as H/n fastly leads the way back to the car.

The guy sighs with a low chuckle rubbing his wrist with a cloudy, knowing glint in his eyes.

"My, my, how intriguing."