Chapter 73

The weird discovery that I make today is that Azar relishes shopping. Despite fasting, he is so energetic that his enthusiasm is rubbing off on me. I am concerned about how much he is spending, but when I carefully mention this, he shrugs off, telling me not to worry about it because Eid is one of those occasions for which he saves up a lot.

It is my first time visiting Al Rashid Mall. I am fascinated by the skylit ceiling, but Azar being a regular here, doesn't spare the interior much of a glance and heads straight for the shops that concern him. He tells me about the shops as we pass by, about when they opened and if he bought something from them, and how his experience was with the product.

"I'm not boring you, am I?" He asks, catching himself after explaining why his specific brand of shoes is the best out there.

"You are totally not," I respond with a smile. "You seem so excited."

"I am. I always wait for Eid like crazy," he adds with, if I may, an adorable smile. As he scans for the store he is looking for, I try not to feel overwhelmed by my own emotions.

"I have to shop for the family as well," he mentions as we move towards the clothing stores, "But maybe this will tire you out. I can buy these tomorrow or later."

"I am fine," I say, finding it strange that I am honest this time. "Besides, I am excited to see what you want to get."

I quietly accompany him as he browses the stores, finding myself feeling elevated by his joy and pitching in whenever he asks me for an opinion on the gifts. It turns out that when he said family, he also meant Pops, Mom, and Maliha. I help him with his choices, telling him about Pops' favorite perfume and what style of clothes Maliha and Mom like to wear. He makes me confirm everything before the purchase.

"I know what perfume Pops wears, Azar, for the third time," I exasperatedly tell him. "I have seen it on the side table ever since I can remember."

"Okay, okay. It is just that it is our first Eid together, and I want to impress—" He cuts himself off, suddenly aware of his words.

It is our first Eid together.

"Impress?" I repeat lightheartedly.

"I mean, I want to make a good impression," he rephrases, and then he rolls his eyes as if he thinks it sounds silly. "Impression of what though? They already know how messed up I am," he jokes, but I know it is something that bothers him.

I let his remark about being messed up slide and instead, assure him. "It's impressive enough that you are getting them anything, Azar. Besides, it is always the thought that counts."

"Sure, but it's a bonus if they like the gift as well," he insists.

"That's why you have me here. I wonder how you would have shopped for them, if it weren't for me," I lightly poke but suddenly feel too conscious of my tone. Don't overthink.

"It would have been a disaster without you," he agrees, exaggerating with a smile. "You also have to help me with the gifts for the kids."

"Don't worry, I have a list of things we can buy," I tell him as we head towards the toy store.

After getting a handful of board games and some art and crafts supplies, we go to the jewelry stand and buy cute and simple accessories for the girls. Ms. Neela also gave me a credit card and a fixed budget for their Eid clothes, so that's where we head next.

We are currently struggling with Rayan's clothes despite having ample choice because I don't remember his age. "I think this one's real cute, and I really think it will fit him," Azar insists on the pink shirt and grey pants clothes he is holding up. "Look, it also has matching shoes," he shows it in his palm as he says.