Chapter 15

"Angel, left alone, are you?" He says, leaning on the dressing mirror. He gives me a toothy smile, his gold tooth shining. He looks too real.

"You think I am not? I didn't think you were this dumb." He steps closer to me, his eyes dilated. "I'm always there, and I will be." He takes out his knife and bends.

I close my eyes, accepting my fate, waiting for the knife to pierce in, waiting to feel it slice my skin.

My mobile vibrates, and I reflexively open my eyes to find him gone. I look at the mobile and see Azar's name flashing on the screen.

I am tempted to answer him, to run away from my nightmares, but I resist the urge. I can't be weak in front of him. I have to accept I am on my own. I can't trust anyone.

Oh, Allah. Make me strong.

The mobile stops vibrating for a few seconds before Azar calls again. I get up from the couch and take my hijab and veil with me as there are non-mahram in the house. I then head out of the room with the mobile vibrating in my hands. I know I can switch it off, but for some reason, the vibration makes me feel better.

Why aren't you attending my call? Azar messages me. And unblock me from WhatsApp, you are wasting my money.

I go to the kitchen and almost scream when I see Wasim sitting in the lounge on the sofa facing the kitchen counter, doing something on his mobile. I put my veil down, and switch on the kitchen lights, despite my fear.

"Can I have something to eat too?" He asks in a loud whisper without looking up from his phone. That's I notice Kareem sleeping on the sofa beside Wasim's.

"Yeah sure," I mumble.

He gets up and heads towards the counter, and my palms start sweating. He really makes me very uncomfortable. "Are they that bad?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are the nightmares you have that bad that you can't sleep?" He elaborates. "Before you ask who told me all of this, I'll answer you. Zaina told me."

Of course. She has no reason to hide it. I remember when Maliha told me that Mom had told Aunty Sajdah and Aunty Yasmin. I'm guessing Aunty Sajdah told Zaina. No wonder why Zaina hates me. She obviously holds me responsible for whatever happened to me in my past.

"Abeer?" He calls out, my name sounds very foreign on his tongue.

"Sorry, I zoned out," I apologize, opening the fridge.

"It's okay, I do it all the time," he tries to assure me.

"Do you want the leftover pasta?" I offer him.

"Sure."

I heat it in the oven and take out one plate. "Aren't you going to eat?" He asks quietly.

"Nah, I'm not hungry," I shrug off and take a small water bottle from the fridge.

"How did you move on?" He prompts me, I can feel his eyes on me. "How did you get over your past? How did you forget him and move on?"

"I am sorry. I don't want to talk about it," I say; my voice is a little unsteady. "I think you can help yourself."

I am leaving the kitchen when I hear him say, "I am sorry. I offended you."

I stop and turn around. "It's okay."

"It's not," he insists. "I was only thinking about myself, my grief."

"It is okay, Wasim Bhai," I say to make myself feel better, but it doesn't help at all. I feel extremely awkward. How to explain to him I don't want to talk to him unnecessarily because he is my non-mahram, but at the same time not be rude? "She is a better place In Sha Allah."