Chapter 8 (part 2)

I feel shaken to my core as I stare at Azar with disbelief, but he is too busy talking on the mobile that he doesn't realize I am still there.

My head spins as I process yet another blow. I still can't believe he is talking to Mishal. I don't think it's a coincidence. Obviously, it's the same Mishal. He said he broke up with her. How many webs of lies has he woven for his game?

Why do I feel disappointed in Azar? I wonder as I head back inside. Did I for once think that he has changed? He warned me. He told me his hatred has grown still I never thought he would lie about something like this. Why would he lie about Mishal to me too when with me, he shows his nasty colors? It just doesn't make sense.

The ring on my hand feels heavy, and I feel like throwing it away. If I had known it was from Azar, I would have never even touched the ring —let alone wear it every day— since I got it.

There is no point in overthinking this. It is time for me to end Azar's chapter in my life once and for all. In Sha Allah, today I will.

Maliha comes from the kitchen, followed by Mom and Mrs. Noor. I feel very sad for such a lovely lady to have a son like Azar.

Abeer, you don't know why he is like this.

I don't even want to know.

"Food is ready. We were just about to call you both," Mom informs us, and that's when I realize Azar is standing a few steps behind me.

Maliha's eyes meet mine, and she looks alarmed to see Azar, her gaze asking me a million questions. I look away because I don't know how to respond as I am asking the same questions myself.

Mom calls Pops and Uncle, and we go to the dining room. Azar sits across me with his dad and gives me occasional glances which I completely act oblivious to. Pops asks Azar a few questions regarding his job, and Aunty and Mom start discussing how useless TV channels have become.

Maliha nudges me slightly and whispers, "Did you know it is Azar? Sisters marrying brothers?"

I feel very lonely all of the sudden at her excited tone. This means when I reject Azar's proposal Maliha won't be on my side. She clearly wants us to be together.

After we finish eating, Azar comments, "Mrs. Irfan, the food was really very delicious. You have magic in your hands like my Mama."

"Oh no, beta, don't give me the credit," Mom laughs, her eyes twinkling. My cheeks start burning because I know what is coming next. "Abeer made all the food today; I just removed it from the stove and served it."

"Even better," he says, and everyone starts laughing. I wish I could vanish. He isn't even afraid of his dad or Pops.

I go to the kitchen to keep the left-over in the fridge. "Still going to say no?" Azar startles me.

"How are you even here?" I ask instead.

"I used the excuse of washing my hands." He leans on the counter. "Your parents like me. I know you do too, so why are you still pretending otherwise?"

"Azar, how many times do I have to tell you that I don't like you," I say in exasperation, "at all."

"You are right," he says, leaning in slightly. "You love me."

I move back, taken off guard by his guts. I try to focus on the truth. "I hate you."

"You know you are terrible at lying, angel," he retorts in amusement.

"And you are terrible at judgment," I mutter, but he doesn't hear.

"Look at you, Abeer and look at me," he remarks as he washes his hands in the sink. "You know you should be grateful that such a handsome guy like me is ready to marry... well you. I stand by what I had said before. You don't need a veil to keep men away; you'll do fine without it too."

And without waiting for another second, he exits the kitchen, leaving me behind astounded. I should just dig myself a grave and lie down. I should just end myself right here.

I fight back the tears. Allah made you, Abeer, I remind myself, and He made you beautiful. Azar saying that you are not doesn't change anything, and you will get through this. You got through worse.

"Your face is only left to be marked, but don't you worry, angel, I promise you, I will make a pattern so stunning that people will recoil from you."

Oh Allah, I still can't believe he wasn't able to do it. No words are enough to thank Allah. Escaping him was no less than a miracle.

"I will always be with you, angel. I'll be the dark cloud looming over you and would make sure no sunshine ever reaches you."

I make myself go back to the dining room, trying to forget everything wrong in my life —emphasis on "trying".

As I enter, I hear Mom say to Mrs. Noor, "We can decide the Nikkah date on the phone as soon as my vacation papers get approval."

I am panicked and relieved at the same time. At least, the worst-case scenario of rejecting Azar in front of his parents is off the list.

As soon as Azar and his family leave, I take a deep breath, gather up the courage, and go up to Mom, who is keeping away the plates. I give her a hand first as I don't know where to start the conversation. Every plate we keep away, the urge to break them comes to me stronger.

After we are done cleaning, I can't contain myself any longer, "Mom. What did you do? How could you hide this from me? I never said yes to Azar. I didn't know it was him. I... I can't marry him."

There is a deadly silence, and I can't meet Mom's eyes. "Abeer," her voice is strained. "What are you saying?"

"I can't marry Azar Hussain."

-------------------------------------------------

Salam everyone, another update and kind of a cliffhanger, please don't kill me. :)

I know you really feel like killing me right now, but let's think this way, who will write Trust Me if you kill me.

Okay now that you are calm we move on to the best 3 comments which were by 4evaPraise2Allah @Muslimah350 and @CrazyProfessor (your sarcasm cracked me up XD)

Don't be disheartened if yours didn't get chosen. There is always a next time :)

Vote if you enjoyed :)

You can give your view on these questions in the comments:

1) Do you think Azar likes Abeer?

2) How do you think Abeer's Mom will react?

3) Don't you just hate Azar for calling Abeer ugly that too using so harsh words? If someone says that to you in real life, how would you react?

4) Any guesses about who is the man from Abeer's past and why did he love to hurt her?

5) What do you think is the reason behind Azar's willingness to marry Abeer?

6) What's your favourite line and/or scene?

7) Is anyone reading this book married here ☺️? (A little personal I know)

8) How was the chapter overall?

Point out any errors.

Jazakallah Khairun for reading. Stay Blessed Ameen.