Chapter 77

"Come on, everyone. Line up!" The warden instructs, trying to calm down the ruckus the kids have been creating in the dining hall. I wait for them to settle in a line, and then Azar hands me the gifts that I pass down one by one to them.

I take a chance to look at him as I do so. My heart skips a beat when he returns my gaze with a nervous smile. I shift my attention back to the children, who are admiring their Eid clothes.

"Now say thank you to Mrs. Abeer," the warden guides.

"Thank you, Abee!" The kids sing.

"And Azar," I gesture at him.

"Thank you, Azar!" They repeat after me.

The girls are thoroughly invested in their clothes except for Wafa, who along with the guys, is more interested in the collection of board games that Azar reveals. He puts the board games aside, assuring them that they will play after they check their shoes. The kids try on the shoes that are the closest fit.

"I want to wear them now!" Asma claims, twirling around with the dress in her arms.

"You can wear them tomorrow morning after you take a shower," the warden informs, but Huda starts insisting on it too.

"Who wants to put Mehndi?" I distract them. I am met with a chorus of "me, me" from the girls. "Okay then. Let us give the clothes back to the warden. She will give them back to you in the morning. Let's sit down here."

Azar, with the dining staff, has pushed the dining tables back so that they are on either side of the room, and there is plenty of space to sit in the center. We place a cloth on the floor, and the girls gather in a corner for the Mehndi. While the warden and I start applying Mehndi on Asma's and Huda's hands, Zainab and Fatima bring their pillows from the room and converse nearby as they wait for their turn. The guys, Azar and Wafa, are playing a rather heated game of Jenga except for Asif, who is by himself in a corner, doodling on a paper with the new art and craft supplies.

"Who is winning?" The warden asks, getting repeatedly occupied by their excited shouts.

"Who is losing more like," Zainab corrects and then proceeds to explain the rule of the game that one that topples over the tower loses. After a while, Fatima heads to her dorm and brings back a book to read. I don't understand how she can concentrate with all the noise, but she seems to enjoy it.

As I move one from one hand to another without a break, the guys move on from the board game and help Azar decorate the hall with lights and colored flags. Whenever I look up from the hand to see the progress, I see Azar already looking at me as if he is checking up on me.

When I stand up to get water, he moves past the kids towards me. "Do you need something? I'll get it for you," he offers.

"Azar, you don't need to. I am fine," I refuse, even though my heart melts at his concern. I walk towards the dispenser to get water. "Besides, I need to stretch my legs a bit."

"You must be tired. Why don't you take a break?" He suggests.

I drink the water and then reply, "And make the kids wait longer? Nah, it's Chaand Raat. I am okay!" I emphasize when he opens his mouth to argue about it. He smiles in defeat, but I pat his arm. "The hall looks great."

"It's nothing," he shrugs it off.

"You still want to help me?" I ask, wondering why he is so restless to do so.

"Yeah, but I don't want to ruin their Mehndi," he adds apprehensively.

I chuckle and then clarify, "I meant with something else."