CHAPTER 49

POINT OF VIEW: DYLAN

Monday, November 7, 2028.

Carlasco = Around 05.30 P.M

Greece = Around 2.30 A.M

Orkney Island = Around 12.30 A.M

Stepping over into William's warehouse area, Heracles and Hephaestus released the inner energy through their palm, tossing away the targets and causing them to instantly pass out. The others also did the same, but they still did not forget the responsibility Athena had entrusted to them. In no time, every CCTVs and phones were destroyed, and every fallen guard had been implanted with the sphere piece. Everyone then thoroughly explored the area inside and outside the warehouse. Once they were convinced they would not leave traces this time, Athena asked Dylan to pick William up.

William was instantly surprised upon seeing the mess in his warehouse. Indeed he had been briefed by Athena about the predicted result of this skirmish. But the reaction on his face clearly showed that everything was beyond his calculations. However, instead of expressing it through words, he only sighed a deep breath. Everyone then helped move the guards to William's summer house for their own safety. After no one was left, William led Dylan and the group to the door 'Maintenance'.

Tapping his access card to the scanner, William reminded everyone that there were still two guards at the basement. Athena and Nike decided to take care of them. After William opened the lid on the floor, the two goddesses immediately jumped down; two thuds were heard soon after that. Returning to the shaft again, Athena motioned to everyone to come down.

Dylan came down first through the ladders on the wall. He walked through a tunnel and saw two fallen guards whom Nike had dragged away from the gate. Four CCTVs at every corner of the room had also been wrecked. Supposedly Dylan felt relieved. Nevertheless, despite all the prevention methods Athena and the others had executed, he could not shake the feeling that he would still be exposed after the fight with Echkarat. After all, the place belonged to William Philips, a prominent figure in the business world. Once something went wrong, then everyone's eyes would instantly be glued here.

Dylan shook his head. He then put his focus on the possibility that Echkarat won the battle, that it led humanity to wander in Kolaseos for eternity. Surely it was not something he wished would happen. Nevertheless, by having that thought, he became aware of what's more important. Sighing a deep breath, he shifted his attention to the doors again, waiting until everyone was ready to charge forward.

"Anyway ...," William said when he had just taken out his access card. "I just remember one thing that bothers me."

"What is it?" Athena asked.

"Echkarat once said that he could not live independently from the portal."

"That's odd. What made him say that?"

"The failed ambush in Carlasco Park," William said. "After giving me one last chance, he berated me and said that if only he could live independently from the portal, he would have captured everyone by himself."

"Did he seriously say that?" Artemis asked. "Or should I grab the Flame of Aletheia here?"

"He did," William nodded. "I swear with my life for it."

"A swear not in the name of River Styx is meaningless," Artemis said. "Remember, if I find you lying, I will pursue you and put two holes in your eyeballs. Then I will hang you in the tree and shoot you at your forehead."

William nodded with a flat expression, but did not say anything.

"I never heard about any gods that couldn't live independently from the portal," Athena said. "But we have to consider it a crucial element, in case William spoke the truth. That's why, Dylan," Athena looked towards Dylan. "Whatever happened, shutting the portal is a must."

"OK," Dylan nodded.

"If there are no other questions or opinions, we shall move now."

As no one voiced anything else, Athena gave the signal for William to proceed.