Glossary: who is Hephaestus?

(Notes: I did not compose this page on my own. I just made some edits. This page is only to help the readers understand more who is actually Hephaestus. This page is obviously not part of the novel. Let's say this is like the glossary). 

In Ancient Greek mythology, Hephaestus was the god of fire, metalworking, and craftsmanship. Known as the divine blacksmith, he crafted weapons, armour, and various magical items for the gods. Basically, he could create so many useful things. We could say he was like the scientists who created and supplied Doraemon with his cool gadgets.

Despite being incredibly skilled, Hephaestus had a unique story among the gods. He was the son of Zeus and Hera. However, some myths say he was born only of Hera (that did not make Hera a hermaphrodite goddess; she simply created the baby out of nothingness).

Hephaestus' appearance was not as majestic as that of other gods; he was depicted as a bearded man with strong, muscular arms but also a limp. If he were dressed in red and white, people might mistake him for Santa Claus (who has just been in an accident due to his limping).

The question is, how did he become limping?

The answer is:

According to the myth, Hera threw him off Mount Olympus because of his looks, causing his leg injury when he landed. When he had grown up, before returning to Olympus and becoming one of The Twelve Olympians, he built his workshop, often said to be located under a volcano. He built so many things there, including the Arc Reactor and Iron Man suit (just kidding, don't take it seriously!)

Hephaestus's marriage to Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty, was a union that symbolized the stark contrast between beauty and craftsmanship. However, their marriage was not without its challenges, as it was marked by Aphrodite's infidelity, particularly with Ares, the god of war.

Hephaestus, in his essence, was a testament to the power of ingenuity and perseverance. His physical imperfections did not hinder him from becoming the master craftsman of the gods, a living proof that talent and determination can triumph over any adversity.