Chapter 24

Soundwave provided the details of the plan to vanquish Airachnid's spark. It was a plan Optimus wouldn't have thought of, but given the spidercon's taste for inflicting pain and being able to anticipate ambushes and her venom was nothing to play around with lightly. So this plan certainly was something that could work. And Soundwave was not usually the one to get into a fight, but when he does, it was Soundwave who would walk away from it. Not the other. Optimus knew that all too well.

At least his priorities were to protect Saphira, and ensuring that Airachnid was defeated was something that they all agreed upon. It felt strange to be working with the decepticons on this kind of mission, but Optimus hoped that it would work out in the end. And with no injuries to show for it. Soundwave and Dreadwing would be accompanying with them on the mission, so Optimus, Arcee and Bumblebee knew they had to be cautious.

"Are we all set, Soundwave?" Megatron questioned as Soundwave and several vehicons carried boxes of the items that would be used against Airachnid. The purple con nodded affirmatively. "And is Airachnid hiding with her hive?" He nodded again. Laserbeak was still scouting the hive and keeping a close eye on the spidercon. "I am sure she is aware we have found her location by now. We must be quick, and swift. Activate the ground bridge to her little mine."

The bridge vortex opened by them and they all walk into it. Optimus was still tempted to reach out to Saphira through the bond to let her know what was happening. He could sense her happiness, whatever she was doing with the two cons it was a good thing. He held back, knowing that it would only ruin her day by telling her what was happening.

Upon reaching the other side, Optimus looked around at the mine. He saw that it was a sizeable mine that would provide Airachnid with enough energon for a while. "I still don't get how Soundwave managed to create those things. Another Laserbeak..."

"Not quite the same," Dreadwing responded as Soundwave placed one of the boxes down. "Soundwave got the idea for these when I was watching one of the science fiction shows Saphira showed me. Stargate has quite a lot of things in it, and Soundwave happened to stumble in while I was watching one of the episodes."

"Which was?" Arcee asked, with a curious, raised eyebrow.

Dreadwing smirked at the two-wheeler. "It was the first episode for Stargate Atlantis, it introduced a creature called the Wraith. It's fictional, and it supposedly feeds on the human years, or life force to the point they age faster and die."

Bee grimaced a little. "I remember that show. Raf likes those kind of shows too, and I saw that too. But, what exactly did Soundwave make? I know he made some kind of swarm that Airachnid can't control."

Soundwave opened the case to show a Laserbeak-like creature. It was offline at the moment, but it was slightly different to the original Laserbeak. "Soundwave took that idea, the idea of the spark extractor and scraplet, bringing it together to create little bots that could do a lot of damage."

"I am surprised you would create such a creature, Soundwave," Optimus commented, looking at the offline robot. He looked at Soundwave who simply shrugged. "Though at least you have full control over these creatures, given you have used Laserbeak's system in these."

"What are these designed to do, exactly?" Megatron asked, reaching into the container and pulling the creature out, looking at it closely. The head of the Laserbeak-like creature had pincer-like teeth, similar to scraplet teeth and sharp, long knives within the wings that can pop out and impale any con. "Hmm...since it got inspired by something you saw off a strange human show...it is going to need some kind of name."

"I was going to go with wraith, but I am not sure if Soundwave would name it that," Dreadwing said with a shrug. "As for what it does, Soundwave demonstrated it to me. The wraith is able to drain energon directly from any con or bot, and it can also deliver a powerful paralysis venom Soundwave has been working on to use on the Mech robots. I know Soundwave made these specifically to use against Mech robots, but these will work fine on Airachnid."