Chapter One

O N E 

"Aila! You're going to be late. Signore dammi la forza! If you're late for your first day of work I might have to kill you Sorella." I heard Isabella bark through my door as I fumbled with my heels in my hands.

Why must these heels take such an effort to put on?

"Aila!" Isabella continued to shout at me to hurry up, I should almost feel her frustration as well as hear it but I couldn't argue with that with the fact being late was the result of me losing my first day.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" I called back, ripping my bag from the side desk next to my bed and marching my way out of the door. "Mio Dio!" I muttered to myself, as I rushed past my sister and through the apartment both of us shared together.

"Breakfast!" I saw a plate of toast on the table, with a coffee cup next to it. Slinging the bag over my shoulder, I swiped a slice of buttered toast and the coffee as I raced out of the door.

"Ciao!" I called out before leaving the room, hearing a faint response from Isabella just as the door closed.

I also tripped down the stairs as I ran out to the taxi I had called in advance if fear that I may be late for my first day on the job-- and look at this! I am.

★★★

The drive to the taxi was almost painstakingly slow with me constantly telling the driver to go slow which only resulted in him going slower-- the bastard.

This was my first day-- did you guess?-- with the law firm AAA Marino and being late is potentially going to nail me in my coffin, jobless and alone.

After being late constantly for work, in what happened to be a rival firm called Taylors, I was unfortunately sacked. Unfortunately for them, they basically lost their best employee on the most pettiness thing being time management.

So, lateness is something I need to work on which I could potentially work on if I'm not sacked the second I walk into that firm.

Apparently, gossip through the grapevines say that AAA Marino is one of the roughest firms in the country, with the most strict boss-- one wrong move and you're gone.

You got kids to care for and provide for? Who cares, not the boss that's for sure.

For what felt like years, I finally managed to reach the firm within ten minutes, with only two minutes to sign in to the building via reception. I let out a sigh of relief when I made it through the door with minutes to spare.

Thank you, Lord!

After successfully signing up in reception, I felt completely at ease with the world. Guess who's keeping their job today? M-

"Aila Romano?" I froze. Spoke too soon. Forging a smile on my face, I spun on my heel to see a middle-aged woman dressed as presentable as can be in a pure blank pantsuit with her arms crossed across her chest, a clipboard trapped in between.

"Yes?" I used the sweetest voice possible, maybe it'll ease even punishment I am praying I won't be getting.

I knew two minutes wasn't enough!

The woman in front of me gave a small smile, fidgeting on her feet before she spoke. She was clearly less confident than she seemed to show. "Mr. Marino is waiting to see you before you start working." My brows knitted together in confusion.