Chapter 7: Lunch

A:

"Why are you holding your breath," Alieen asks as the two of us walk up the sidewalk toward her apartment building. Holding onto a street sign before I collapse, I finally open my mouth and let out a big breath.

"So many people," I pant, thinking back to how crowded the bus was. Despite sitting next to Alieen, I still felt very uncomfortable on the bus. There were just so many people. There was someone directly behind me who kept on breathing on my neck. Near the end of the bus ride, he started to cough loudly, and fearing the worst, I started to hold my breath.

"I miss my powers," I think as I push myself up. "I could teleport, and I had no need to take the bus."

Rubbing my back, Alieen then guides me up the stairs to her front door. She pushes open the door and steps to the side.

"Welcome to my home," Alieen says, waving her arm.

Hesitate to enter, I take in a deep breath before stepping in.

Alieen:

"So what do you think," I ask as I close the front door. "Not bad for four part-timers uh?"

The apartment building is small but it still comes with a second floor. On the first floor are the restroom, our kitchen, and the living room. There are some stairs that lead to the second floor and on the second floor are the bathroom and the two bedrooms; Alfred's and Matt's bedroom, and Lafayette's and my room.

"This is wonderful," he says.

"Thank you," I say. I open my mouth to say something but stop.

"Hey, it's you," Matt says, greeting us as he walks into the narrow hallway with us. "Hey, Alieen. Hey A. Glad to see you again."

Matt then rises his hand. I think Matt is waiting for A to high-five him, but A just stands still. He looks at me before turning back to Matt.

Matt says, rising his hands. I think Matt is waiting for A to high-five him, but A just stand still. He looks at me before turning to Matt.

"Uhh, glad to see you too."

A's hands stay at his sides, and eventually, Matt lowers his hands.

"Yeah," Matt says, clearing his throat. "Anyway, congratulations on finding Alieen."

"Wait," I say, "You knew he was trying to find me? You know A?"

"Uhhh," Matt starts, rubbing the back of his head. "Yeah. I may or may not have told A where to find you."

"You morons," Lafayette says, walking in behind. The second she can, she slaps Matt on the back of his head.

"Ouch," Matt moans, rubbing the back of his head once more.

"Matt, what did I say about giving information to complete stranger. Come on, get this guy out of here."

Walking right up to A, Leia starts to push him out but I stop her.

"Leia," I say, "What are you doing? Knock off it."

"Alieen," Leia says, "This is all sort of bad news. Inviting complete strangers into our apartment. Especially considering that complete stranger's name is A."

"I am not a complete stranger," A says. "Leia."

"My friends called me Leia," Leia interrupts. "You are not my friend, so you have to call me by my full name. Lafayette."

"Lafayette," A repeats. "Well, Ms. Lafayette, know that I do understand your reasons for concern. For what it is worth, I promise I am not here to do any harm. In fact, it was not even my intention to come here. Alieen invited me. For lunch."