Chapter 38: San Franciso's New Hero

A:

Sitting on the rooftop of my gas station home, I carefully place a small rock on my finger. It balances on my thumb before I flick it into the empty desert.

I watch for a bit as the small rock flies through the air. It disappears from my view after a few seconds but I can still hear the thud as it hits the sand.

"I went further than last time," I tell myself.

With my telekinesis power, I pick up another small rock from the pile beside me. I place it on my finger, balances it on my thumb, and flick it into the desert once more.

"Not as far this time," I say, rising my ear and listening to the thud.

I sigh as I mentally pick up another rock. About to flick the rock, I stop. I sigh again and watch as the rock falls from my fingers. I listen as the rock falls toward the ground and thuds.

"I cannot stay here. I have to go somewhere else, but where."

My thoughts go back to the apartment with Layafette, Alfred, Matt, and Alieen. Especially Alieen.

"No," I say, shaking the thoughts away. "Alieen told me to stay away. I must respect her wishes. Still, I cannot stay here. It is too much."

With really no other option, I close my eyes and teleport away. Opening my eyes only a second later, I find myself in an alleyway in the city.

"Maybe this is what I need. A walk in the city."

Taking a deep breath, I peek out the alleyway before picking a random direction and walking down it. I walk and walk down the sidewalk, through an intersection, past a few dozen stores, until stopping all of a sudden.

"I do not feel better."

I sigh again as I look down.

"Why do I feel so sad? Why am I even feeling sad, to begin with? I have my life back. I should be happy, or at least what I consider happy before. No more interaction. No more having to deal with people. This is what I wanted. Right?"

I slap myself on the face as I try to make sense of what is going on. As I weigh the thoughts in my head, of having peace and quiet versus having Alieen and the others, I stop when I hear people screaming.

Turning my head, I see people running off the streets as a red car runs right through the crosswalk. It doesn't stop or even slow down. It just run right through the crosswalk, almost hitting a man and a woman. Even after crashing into a building, the car doesn't stop. Instead, it turns and now runs down the sidewalk.

I keep on watching as more and more people run out of the way. It is not until I see a tall woman pushing a baby stroller out of the way that I do something.

Using my teleportation power, I disappear and reappear in between the tall woman and the oncoming car. Now using my telekinesis power, I grab the baby stroller and roll it back into the woman's arms. With the baby back with its mother, I turn back toward the car. Stomping my feet on the sidewalk, I brace myself as the car runs right into my arms.

Despite catching and stopping the runaway car, it still would not stop. Looking at the two front wheels as they keep spinning, I reach over and rip through right off.

Throwing them to the side, I place the car down and walk over to the driver's seat. I expected to see a man with his mouth open considering what I did, but instead, as I approach the driver's door, I see an elderly man with his hand over his chest.

Even with my lack of social skills and knowledge, I can tell something is wrong. The elderly man's eyes are closed. It looks like he is sleeping but every now and then, he will suddenly shake.

The Gods Among UsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara