Chapter 39: Home Sweet Home

Alfred:

"I give up," I say, throwing down my pencil. No matter what I do or how hard I tried, I can't stop drawing a gas station. The ghostly outline of an abandoned gas station is permanently drawn onto my paper.

I sigh as I rub my forehead and lean back.

"I need a snack," I tell the ceiling of my and Matt's room. Getting up from my chair, I walk out of my room and down the stairs. Heading straight for the kitchen, I search the cabinets and the fridge for anything to snack on. However, as I look at the trash can, I'm reminded of my binge eating.

Over the top and falling out of the kitchen's trash can are empty candy wrappers, empty Cup Noodles cups, and empty cereal boxes. All of which are only from three days ago.

"Ahh," I say, slamming my hand over my face and dragging it down. "No wonder why I can't find anything to eat."

I think about going to a nearby store to buy some quick snacks, maybe a bag of chips and some hotdogs, but with Matt at work and Alieen volunteering, our two cars are already gone.

I sigh once more and shake my head. With no snacks or even juice available, I settle for a big cup of milk. Opening the fridge and grabbing the milk, I pour myself a cup before throwing away the empty container. Sitting at the counter, I slowly drink the last of the milk.

As I sit there alone in the kitchen, drinking a cup of milk, I can't help but think about Alieen.

"Alieen. What were you thinking? Why did you just leave A like that? I mean, yeah, we gave him some food and clothes, but still. We just left him. We just left him alone. And after all that talk of wanting to help him. I'm surprised A hadn't come to come us."

As I think this, I hear knocking coming from the front door.

"What the hell? Aww, man. Is A reading minds again? I thought I told him mind reading is very rude."

Running to the front door, I swing it open, expecting to see A. Only, it's not A standing there.

Lafayette:

"Hey Alfred," I say, nodding to my old friend.

Upon seeing me, Alfred's eyes go wide like in one of those old cartoons. His mouth hangs open and he stands completely still.

I clear my throat as I give Alfred a few minutes.

"Oh fly," I say, noticing a tiny fly flying near Alfred. "You might want to be careful--Nevermind."

Before I could finish, the fly flew right into Alfred's mouth. It seems the fly manages to snap Alfred out of his stance, however. As the fly lands on Alfred's tongue, Alfred closes his mouth and swallows. He then starts to cough while stumbling.

"Alfred," I say, rushing forward to grab Alfred. Patting his back, I decide to give Alfred a few more minutes.

"Did--Did I just eat a fly," Alfred asks.

"Uhh, no," I answer. "No."

Alfred looks at me before straightening himself up. He hits his chest a few times, coughs, and then looks back at me.

"Leia," Alfred says, "You're here."

"Yeah," I say, looking away. "I am. Is Alieen here, by chance?"

"No. She's at the pet shelter."

I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Uhh, can I come in?"

"Yeah," Alfred says, stepping to the side. "You don't really have to ask. This is your home too. I mean, as long as you pay your share of the rent."