Chapter 26: Sleepover

A:

"Pigeon," Alfred yells. His yell snaps me out of it. I turn my head and see myself flying into a pigeon. It is too late now. I accidentally fly into the pigeon, feathers flying all over. A few feathers get in my mouth and I have to stop flying to split them out.

While I am splitting out disgusting feathers, the pigeon that I hit by accident starts to beak at me.

"Ahh," I cry, trying to hide my head. I am about to slap the bird away but then I remember I am holding Alfred and Alieen. So instead, I blow the bird away. The bird shakes uncontrollably as I blow it away, more feathers falling out. It recovers after a few minutes but by then, it is flying away. I cannot be sure but I think the lousy bird shoots me a mad glare as it flies away.

"Sorry about the late warning," Alfred says.

"Do not worry," I reply. "It is not your fault. I was simply surprised by Alieen's words. I am sorry, but what did you say?"

"I asked if you wanted to stay over for the night," Alieen answers. I turn away from Alieen and to Alfred. He shrugs his shoulders and we both turn to Alieen. Seeing this, Alieen clears her throat and makes circles with her fingers before she starts explaining. "Clearly, something more is going on here."

"You don't say," Alfred interrupts. When I hear this, I shake Alfred a little. While his eyes are rolling around, I nod my head.

"Please go on," I say.

"Anyway, like I said. There's more to this than meets the eye. I mean, that shadowy figure attacked you, what three times now?"

I nod my head once more.

"Well, you told me the first time, it was when you were by yourself at your gas station. He attacked you with a graboid, but you managed to break free. You two fought and you almost had him but then he threw that holy water at you. The second time he attacked, it was when you and I were at the gas station. Once again, you fought and he threw holy water at you. You were stunned but instead of fighting, he choose to take me and then just leave. This time, the third time, you two fought but he stopped to help Alfred and Alieen."

"Where are you going with this," I ask.

"I'm only asking because judging from all of this, he will leave you alone if you're with us. So I figure, after a long and somehow, active night, you could use some sleep. At our apartment. Where chances are, you won't be attacked."

"That does make some sense," Alfred says, his eyes staying still now. "I mean, we don't have any spare beds but you could sleep on the sofa. Assuming, of course, you're okay with all of this A."

I look down at Alieen and Alfred. The two of them are looking right at me with wide eyes. I want to say no but for some reason, I cannot.

"Uhh," I start, trying to find the right words. "Uhh, thank you but I think I have caused the two of you enough trouble for one night."

Alieen lets out a puff of air and a wave of her hand.

"Matt caused us more trouble than this," she says. "Come on, A. Say yes. When was the last time you slept?"

"About a week ago," I answer with a shrug. "So?"

Alieen nods her head.

"Back home we go," Alieen says, pointing in the direction of the apartment.

I nod my head and fly the two back to their apartment.

Lafayette:

"Oh my god," I cry, shaking my lowered head. "Oh, my god. Oh my god! Alieen. Alfred. Are you two serious? I mean, are you two, really, really serious about this?"

I stop talking and lean back. Thankfully, it doesn't look like A had me. He's still laying on our sofa, tossing and turning and throwing the blanket we loan him all over. I straighten up and look at Alieen, Alfred, and Matt.

"Guys, for real. I think this is going a bit too far. I mean, giving him food and clothing is one thing, but now, we're letting him sleep here. Am I the only one who's freaking out?"

"I'm freaking out a little too," Matt says. He leans out and watches A for a few seconds before returning. "I have the morning shift tomorrow. What happens if A tosses and turns all night?"

I roll my eyes and slap Matt's arm.

"I'm serious," I say.

"So am I," Matt says while rubbing his arm.

"Leia," Alieen starts. "I promise if what I said means anything to you, A will only be here for a few days."

She holds her hands over her chest. Seeing this, I roll my eyes and sigh.

"Fine," I say, "But I'm with Matt on this one. If A tosses and turns all night, I'm getting a bucket of ice water and throwing it on him."

"I think you should do that anyway," Alfred says. "You two didn't see what we saw a few hours ago. It was crazy."

"Based on what you three told us," Matt says, putting his hands down on my counter. "I know. Those crazy people. That shadowy figure again. You getting beaten up. Hey, are you sure you're alright?"

"Yeah," Alfred answers. "I'm fine. Whatever that person did, it completely healed me. I checked myself when we got here. No cut. No bruise. Not so much as a drop of sweat."

"But wait," Matt says, "Why would the person heal you and Alieen if he wanted to fight A? I mean, seeing the three of you together, wouldn't that cause some confusion? Make it seems like you two are friends of A and hence, enemies of Mr. Shadow Man?"

"Who knows what Mr. Shadow Man is thinking anymore," I answer. I walk to the fridge and pour myself a cup of milk. I then put the cup of milk in the microwave and wait with crossed arms. "It's late, and I have trouble thinking when I'm tired. For now, let's just call it a night and all go to sleep."

The microwave beeps, and I drink the whole cup in one swallow. A yawn escapes and I stretch my arms.

"Leia is right," Alfred says. "It's late and I think we all have things we need to do tomorrow. We can talk more at dinnertime."

With that, we all wish each a peaceful night's sleep and head to our rooms. The second Matt and Alfred close the door to their room, Alieen ambushes me. She closes the door and crosses her arms.

"You know something, Leia," Alieen says, pointing a finger at me. "I am getting really tired of how you've been treating A."

"Excuse me," I say, dropping onto my bed. "How I've been treating A? How exactly how I've been treating A, the complete stranger with dangerous powers? The complete stranger without any memory of himself? The complete stranger with someone hunting him!"

"Exactly Leia," Alieen says. "Someone is hunting A down. He doesn't have anywhere else to go. He doesn't have anyone to rely on. Even if he does, he doesn't have any memory of them. A needs our help. We can't just throw him to the street."

"But Alieen, letting him stay with us? That's going too far. Don't you think?"

"Maybe," Alieen says, "But that doesn't mean we can't go the extra mile."

"And exactly how many more 'extra miles' do we have to go for A? Alieen, I really think you should stop for a second and step back. Just think this through."

"I have thought this through," Alieen says, "I'm going to do everything I can to help A, and if you're not with me, Leia, then, then.."

"Then what," I ask. "Then I can leave. Then I can go. You know what. Alieen, if then what you really want, then fine by me. I glad to know I'm the only one with enough common sense to know not to sleep with a stranger under the same roof."

"No way," Alieen says but I clap my hands and cut her off.

"Tomorrow," I say, pulling my hands apart. "Tomorrow. Don't expect me here."