Chapter 26: A Promise Fulfilled

Alina's POV

It's been a few months since the war; since the loss of our loved ones.

I stand at the resting place that marked his death. I gently place a bunch of flowers down, touching his tomb and smile sadly in remembrance.

I stepped back into the broad chest behind me as strong hands wrap around my waist in a tight hold making my body tremble at the tingles erupting on my skin.

"Xavier. I miss him so much." I whispered into the cool afternoon.

"I know my love. We all do. He had become a member of our family and we loved him as such but we knew he was never meant to stay. He's where he should be, back in the spirit world with his mate. Happy." My mate rests his chin in the crook of my neck and speaks his words softly.

Colton was gone and we had to accept it and move on.

"Come on babe, let's join the others for lunch, yeah?" He says breaking from the embrace and leading me away from Colton's resting place after one last goodbye.

"I love you." I tell him with a smile. I remind him of that every day.

"As I love you. With all of me, heart, body and soul." He lays a gentle peck on the crown of my head as we walk back to the pack house to join our friends and family.

Dimitri had rushed Xavier to the infirmary where he was administered the antidote and had made a full recovery. It took my body a few days to awaken and heal from the overexertion of my abilities but I was as good as new.

All of our injured had made a full recovery thanks to Willow and her people's healing abilities and potions. We had grieved for our fallen, rejoiced in our victory and had begun rebuilding what had been destroyed in the war with the help of our new lifelong friends.

The feud that had lasted a millennium had finally ended. A peace treaty had been signed by the leaders of the supernatural race and a council had been formed. Xavier and I along with the fae queen, vampire lord, elf king and high witch and warlock had taken our places as head of the council of the Supernatural Order to see to it that peace and prosperity would be brought back to the lands as they stand in unity once more.

Xavier and I have been practicing with our powers and we're slowly learning new things every day. Those moments are bittersweet due to Colton's absence.

Jason and Roxy had left us and headed back to their territory which coincidentally neighbored our eastern border. We see them often, having mandatory monthly pack get-togethers which really is just a huge barbeque bonfire and an excuse to see our friends so we don't drift apart. But they're almost always around apart from that. They had also been given a seat at the council table along with other clan, coven and pack leaders.

Everything was falling into place.

It's been a crazy journey since Xavier and I found each other and if there's one thing I've learnt about in these past few months is that I needed to live life to the fullest. Make friends, go on adventures, laugh, have fun, learn new things about myself, make mistakes and make some more. Life is filled with the unexpected and we need to savour every given moment because we never know when that all might change.

~~~~~~

The next day I find myself giggling along with Thea, and a visiting Roxy as we bid goodbye to the last of the pups we had been playing with. Riley had been noticeably missing.

"You know, you're really great with kids, Ali. You're a natural." Roxy says with a smile.

I beam at her and thank her. I am so exhausted. We played with the pups all day and snacked on Roxy's heavenly lemonade and sandwiches. I haven't seen Xavier since this morning and to be honest I'm getting a little suspicious, he's always hovering like a mother hen.