Chapter 1: Birthday Wishes

Alina's POV

As dawn appeared, so did the shrill screech of my alarm. While reaching to shut off the noise, I felt myself tumbling out of my bed and landing gracefully, face first onto the floor. Ouch, hopefully that didn't leave a mark.

What a great way to start off a Monday morning! Also, happy 21st birthday to me. If this is foreshadowing of how today is going to proceed, then I would rather curl myself back under the blankets and pretend I don't exist. But alas, that's not how the world works, I have to get my ass into gear and get ready for college.

Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly hate college. Quite the opposite actually, considering it gives me a rather big population pool to work with - and by that, I mean pulling pranks, my favourite pastime in the world. The icing on the cake is that I have the best prank squad on my side, my best friends and partners in crime since diaper days: Riley, Thea and Jason. We were known as 'The A Team', #1 prank squad of Ashtington College. We may look innocent at first but deep down we're all just itching to pull pranks on some poor unsuspecting soul. Of course, none of the pranks are cruel, just a source of entertainment and the 'victims' take them with humor.

Today was just one of those days. Nothing particularly wrong with it but you're just not feeling it.

I was never one to dwell on the fact that I have yet to find my mate, some find theirs within hours of coming of age, others take days, months or even years. I was patient and it never really bothered me; my time will come when the Goddess wishes it to be. I'm independent in nature and never uncertain of myself, always have been that way but lately I've had a nagging feeling at the back of my mind and my wolf Rhia has been pacing restlessly for the past few days which isn't usually like her. I guess that's what has me on edge.

I push myself off the floor. I am Alina freaking Richards, future Alpha of Red Dawn, if life throws a curveball at me then so be it, I'm going to hit a damn home run.

I go to my bathroom and take my time in the shower, letting the warm water wash away my thoughts and hop out to find something to wear. I throw on a pair of black ripped jean-shorts and a soft light blue t-shirt that's seen better days, but I can't seem to part with and match it with my favourite pair of battered Converse and leather biker jacket. I run a hand through my fairly wavy, striking black hair on my way out the door, not even bothered with makeup today.

The smell of crispy bacon leads me down the stairs and straight into the kitchen to find my mum at the stove handling the precious cargo.

"Glorious food, wonderful food!" I imitate the vultures from the Ice Age movie, albeit horribly, finding it fitting.

My mum sighs, looks up and laughs at me, used to my antics and devotion to food.

"Morning mum," I give her a kiss on the cheek, swiping a piece of delicious maple glazed bacon and popping it into my mouth while avoiding the swat of her spatula.

"Good morning darling, happy birthday!" she says, and she hugs me so tight I can hardly breathe. She forgets about her werewolf strength and the damage her hugs can do. Deadly.

"Put her down Cally, you're squeezing the life out of my princess," dad says. Ah my hero, coming to save me I think to myself but instead, he grabs me from her side and tackles me into his own bone-crushing hug.

"Dad! You're supposed to be helping me, not doing the same!" I laugh as he eventually sets me down on my feet and goes to sit at the kitchen island, allowing me to breathe again. "Well it's not every day you turn the ripe old age of 21 now is it? Look at you all grown up," he smiles humorously.

"Sit down and have some breakfast Ali," mum sets the bacon on the table and dad kisses her cheek, giving her a wink.

"Nope. Sorry, I've got to pick Riley up, I don't want to be late!" I say while grabbing a second piece of bacon from the plate and start walking towards the front door.

"Princess, she's just next door at the pack house, not halfway across the country," my dad chuckles and looks at me with amusement.

"Oh, and don't forget, the Alpha of The Blood Moon pack is coming back from his trip. He hasn't had any luck finding his mate. I expect you to be on your best behaviour when you cross paths Ali, no pulling pranks on the poor guy," My dad says sternly but slyly gives me a wink. No doubt my mum asked him to give me a talk. The guy loves my pranks, I practically learned everything I know from him. "Sure dad. The poor guy. Well, see you guys later," I say mostly for my mum's peace of mind but having no intention to follow through.

Walking outside towards my baby I open the door and get in. The engine comes to life with a soft purr and I slowly backed out the driveway. I made my way down to the pack house where Riley lives with her parents. Her dad's the Beta and he was one of my dad's best friends, the other one being the Gamma, Jack, who is Thea and Jason's dad. We all grew up together as a result and carried on the legacy of our dads' friendship.

Riley hopped in as soon as I pulled up to the house and we sped off towards school. "Happy Birthday Ali!" she squealed and it kind of hurt my ears because of our heightened senses. She hugged me across the seat.

"Jason and Thea will meet us at school. Thea just woke up and Jason's trying to get rid of his one-night stand." she explains. I chuckled, "Typical Jason, ever the charmer." She just shook her head and laughed.

"So... I heard from dad that the Blood Moon wolves are back from their trip. It's been years since we last saw them, I wonder how they turned out. I still remember the pranks we pulled on them, fun times" She reminisce in bliss and I shake my head in amusement, "Of course you'd wonder, you've always had a thing for one of them."

"I did not have a thing for Alex," her blissful look falls over her face as she deadpans. "Who said anything about Alex?" I look over at her innocently. Her cheeks flush as she mutters curses under her breath and shoots me looks that tell me just how she feels while I look out the windshield in silence for the rest of the drive, proud of myself.

I think back to the last time I saw any of them. We've been pulling pranks on those guys since we were in kindergarten, and dammit, it was worth it for all the trouble we got into. I wonder how they turned out too, but I didn't dare voice my thoughts.