Chapter nine | Nikolai

TW: MENTIONS OF SEX, IMPLIED SEXUAL ASSAULT(FADE TO BLACK)

LOCATION: ARCADIOS, VEQUERA

YEAR: 620 C.E

"THAT WOMAN INFURIATES ME," NIKOLAI GRUMBLED AS HE PUSHED HIS WAY INTO HIS CHAMBERS.

Dawson stood by the door as he stared out of the window. He tapped his fingers against his armor to calm himself. Nikolai turned to look at him with a blank face. "My mother thinks I should stop drinking and going to see Zanna. She says it's not wise for the future king to be seen in such a terrible light and they will look down on me." His features for a moment as he recalled what his mother had told him moments before.

"Do you think they'll look down on me, Dawson?" Nikolai asked as he turned to flop his body on his bed. Dawson sighed before clearing his throat. "No, my prince."

"I told you to call me Nikolai." Nikolai stood up and pulled off his shirt before tossing it to the ground.

"I am sorry, my-Nikolai." He corrected himself.

Nikolai glanced over at him with narrowed eyes. He needed a drink if he had to deal with his mother much longer. He hated her advice. The way she spoke. The look of pure annoyance when anytime she would even share a glance with him. Why name him heir if she hated him? He had plenty of cousins she could've chosen as heir. But then he would be stuck listening to them yap about their boring lives. "Do you have a family, Dawson?"

"I have a younger sister."

"No parents?"

"No, my prince."

Dawson's eyes widened as he caught his mistake. Nikolai sucked at his teeth as he rolled over to his side. "I'll let that go for now." His eyes stared out the window. His thoughts wandered as he thought of a young Dawson with his pale skin and Hazel eyes. His dark curls were probably shorter than they are now. An orphan was a terrible thing to be. A child alone in the world with no one but themselves. He knew he would not survive if he were to have been an orphan. Dawson glanced at the Prince with wary in his eyes and they darted anywhere but Nikolai.

"Where is your sister?"

"I don't know. We were separated long ago."

"So, you have no family."

Dawson's face fell as he glanced down at his feet. "May I return to my post?" That caused Nikolai to sit up straight as he turned to glare at Dawson.

"Why?" He snapped.

Nikolai didn't want to be alone. He liked Dawson's company. Letting out a long sigh, Dawson clenched and unclenched his jaw. His armor clashed together as he pressed himself against the wall. His hand inched to the door handle. Nikolai noticed and his glare sharpened. He stood up with urgency. His fists pressed against his side as his temper rose. Valia was gone. So, he had no one to let his anger out on.

"M-my post is outside of your chambers and the commander or The Queen cannot know I left my post," Dawson explained.

"I don't care. If I tell you to stay here with me then you will. You are my personal guard, and you swore an oath to me in front of my mother."

Dawson gulped as he watched Nikolai make his way toward him. His skin visibly paled as he glanced down at Nikolai's fists and back to his face. "I could have you punished if you disobey me and walk out, or I could do it myself." Nikolai reached for Dawson's hand and pulled it away from the door handle. Dawson shook under him as he whispered to himself, but Nikolai could not make out what he was saying.