Chapter sixty-one | Valia

LOCATION: ARCADIOS, VEQUERA - AIREDAL, HELELL

YEAR: 622 C.E

WAR WAS A TRICKY THING.

It should be avoided at all costs...but as Tessia handed Valia her sword, Valia knew what she would do but she had to make sure Mary got to Helell safely. Her hands shook as she wrapped the sword around her waist. Her body was still sore and aching. Henry talked to one of her knights about the fastest way out of Arcadios. "He will mark you as traitors to the crown, but he won't kill you." Valia pushed her words out, but did she really believe them?

Nikolai would be bedridden for a while until he healed, but he could still call out orders. He could still have them punished from his chambers. But Erato and Helena would not let him harm their children, even if they agreed with his anger. Tessia placed a hand on Valia's shoulder before pushing her into a hug. "You worry about what you will do next, and we will worry about Nikolai. Okay?" Tessia gave Valia kind eyes as she shooed her away. Merlal stood behind her with a relaxed expression.

"Thank you, Tessia."

Valia mounted Merlal and a roar escaped from the she-dragon as she took flight. It wouldn't take long for her to get to Helell. She would arrive before Mary and the knights. Valia glanced down at Arcadios for the last time as she turned to stare forward. Merlal's excitement ran through her as she allowed herself to relax. Their souls were tied to one another like hers and Mary's were. Her emotions were overpowering as she remembered seeing the battles Merlal had fought in alongside Queen Aemma.

Merlal and Bafann were the only dragons that battle seasoned. Bafann had fought in more battles than Merlal because he was much older. Then she saw something in Merlal's memory. Dragons fighting dragons. Kin fighting kin. Bafann fighting other dragons. The more she thought it, the more curiosity pushed her to want to know more of what happened, but the memory stopped there. Then reality set in.

Helell came into the horizon, and she steered, moving Merlal to land near Airedal. When Merlal landed, there were a dozen knights to welcome Valia. They all had their heads bowed. Prince Tieran and Koa stood ahead of them. Koa's features distorted as he saw the state of her body. Valia got off of Merlal. "What the fuck happened, Valia?" Koa cursed as he walked over to her, his hands moving to her face, but Valia pushed him away.

"Mary will be arriving shortly with six of knights make sure she is immediately given to Jamie and summon my council." Valia ignored his comment and turned to her cousin, who nodded. Merlal took off, flying west toward the palace. Tieran looked concerned for her, but she pushed it to the side as she moved from the both of them. A horse was given to her, and she lifted herself up.

In the chamber of the council, they all stared at Valia, waiting for her to speak. The lack of sleep was getting to her, but she needed to continue the meeting as she did call for them. Her father reached for her hand, but she moved away from him. Valia didn't want to be touched. Not by anyone. She needed to stay calm but the anger that bubbled inside of her was still there. They all had been informed on what happened to Valia and Mary, but Valia had not told them what she had planned to do in retaliation. The priestess was the first to speak.

"What are you planning, Valia?" Malvolia asked.

Valia turned to her with vacant eyes. Her was littered with bruises and so was body. Valia flexed her jaw as she scoffed. "I will make him pay for what he did to Mary. What he did is act of war and he knows it." Vequera will declare war on Helell soon enough. She knew that. Nikolai will not stand by and wait for something to happen. She attacked him and he will want revenge just as she wants revenge for Mary. It was a tricky thing...war. The back and front until one collapsed by the pressure of it all. Koa left the room and Valia sighed. He was angry about what happened, but she could not deal with his anger right now. It was the least of her worries.