Chapter 20

20: An Accident

Lin Miao's attention soon shifted away from the shriveled grass outside. She laid the remaining sweet potatoes on the dried grass and then took her coat off.

It was a bit chilly when they went out in the morning, so both of them wore coats. The Young Master's mother gifted the coat to Lin Miao. Her pink coat had little flowers printed on them and was very ladylike.

Lin Miao spread her favourite coat on the dried grass and said to her bitter-faced brother, "Gege, let's sleep here. We'll be back home tomorrow."

Yu Jingxuan was obviously still worried about their safety.

Turning his head around, he saw Lin Miao talking to him while flattening her coat on the ground.

Unlike the Young Master, Lin Miao had an inflexible mindset towards kidnapping. That is, that the kidnappers would let them go once they got their money.

She didn't think nearly as much as her brother.

Thus Lin Miao was only worried about her brother catching a cold.

Yu Jingxuan felt that she was both cute and naive. He quickly took her coat and put it back on her. "Just sleep like this in a bit."

The sky wasn't yet dark outside, so the two had no intention of sleeping right now. The dog had stopped barking, causing Lin Miao to snuck towards the door against the walls of the hut.

The door had many seams in it, so they might aggravate the dog if they were to walk directly to the door.

The Young Master followed her along the wall.

However, the dog started barking again when they got too close, and the Young Master immediately pulled Lin Miao back.

Lin Miao noticed that the dog barked away from the door this time instead of lunging towards them like the last time they got close.

The wooden door was pieced together with many smaller planks. Lin Miao peeked through the gap, trying to see where the lock was.

"Woof! Woof! Woof!" The dog barked loudly.

Seeing that the dog wasn't dashing towards her, Lin Miao continued to look through the door and said, "You're called Dahuang, right? I know another dog called Weifeng, he's yellow like you..."

"Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof!"

"You're so skinny, are you sick? But your belly is so big."

"Woof! Woof! Woof!"

The Young Master laughed at Lin Miao trying to hold a conversation with the dog.

The two sides had no clue what the other was saying, but they continued on anyway.

At this time, Lin Miao was also able to get a good look at the lock. It was similar to the one they had back at her village.

She turned her head around. "Gege, Gege, I can pick this lock!"

Once, because her brother lost the house keys, their mom picked open the lock with a stick.

But it also broke the lock in the process.

So her mother bought a new lock the next day.

However, her brother picked the lock like how her mother did the day before.

Then, Lin Miao recalled her mother yelling at her brother for it.

Poor brother.

The Young Master thought it was a good idea. The kidnappers might not kill them, but instead, leave them to starve in the hut after receiving the ransom.