Chapter 5

It was silent. Silent as you cleaned your gaping wound. Silent as you pondered whether to stitch it or not before ultimately deciding not to. Silent as you slapped a gauze over it and started wrapping it. Silent as you snipped and tied your bandage together. It was suffocating.

You hadn't known Chota as long, so you were unable to feel the level of grievance Arisu and Karube were surely feeling. However, you've known him enough that the thought of his death brought tears to your eyes.

You gazed warily at Arisu and Karube, who both lay lifelessly on the furniture beds. It had been difficult to drag them away from Chota's body, both wanting to just flop onto the nearest surface and never move again.

Shibuki looked at you with helpless eyes, and you ducked your head, feeling just as helpless.

A couple hours passed exactly like that. Time ticking on and both of them not moving a muscle apart from the occasional sniffling. You silently helped Shibuki prepare some soup. Holding the steaming bowl, you approached Arisu like you would approach a scared rabbit.

"Arisu?" Your voice, soft. "Arisu, I have soup."

" 'm not 'ungry" came a reply, so muffled you had to strain your ears and maul over the response in your head for it to make sense.

Placing the bowl on a bedside table, you sank onto the bed. You laid your head against the headboard, peering down at Arisu whose eyes looked like the life had been sucked out of them.

You slowly threaded your fingers through his hair, half expecting him to pull away or even lash out. But his face only crumpled as he shoved his head further into his cover to muffle his sobs.

You were always bad at comforting people. You stayed silent and kept massaging his head, just to let him know that you were there for him. After a while, his crying had stopped, and there was an occasional sniffle.

"He loved you guys. I could see in his eyes. So, do not give up," you looked down meaningfully into Arisu's puffy eyes, "He would want the best for you."

Fresh tears slipped out of his eyes, dripping on the covers. You didn't know what else to say, your limited vocabulary was not helping, and you didn't want to risk saying something insensitive.

And so, you kept your hands threaded into his hair, your body next to his, an anchor for him as he drifted in and out of sleep for the rest of the night.

Shibuki didn't come back the next morning.

You weren't close at all, something akin to a give and take relationship. However, you still felt a twinge in your chest when you realised she wasn't coming back, one less person in their little group. Arisu and Karube didn't show any visible mourning for Shibuki, however they had become more downcast at the prospect of losing yet another.

A few days later, Karube and Arisu found the energy to eat, and began to function as people. It was clear they were still grieving, eyes still pained and movements sluggish. You watched in satisfaction as they spooned steaming soup into their mouth. Their VISAs were going to expire, so you had to somehow convince them to join a game. If you remember correctly, tonight's game is easy. The bus one.

The mood was peaceful but sombre, and you hated to break it but you needed them to participate tonight.

"You guys have one day left?"

Karube grunted an affirmative, Arisu only nodding lightly.

"Are you guys playing tonight?"

At that, both boys didn't reply. They stared blankly at the bowl of soup.