Chapter 47

You wondered what you were supposed to be feeling at this moment. You weren't scared (for some odd reason), it was more that everything around you is happening too quickly, and your heart is racing to catch up while your mind is miles ahead. It's a weird feeling.

Your brows furrowed, eyes dancing over the screen, visually intaking everything but the Queen's voice was just a distant echo in the ocean of your mind. A light tap on your hand penetrated your thoughts, and your eyes flickered to your right, immediately locking eyes with Arisu. He offered you a small smile and a nod, probably as means of comfort. You softened, taking your own smile in stride before cocking your head at the screen, urging him to listen.

He obliged.

"Now, I'm looking for a good challenger king."

Your head snapped up.

"Who's it gonna be?"

Wincing a little, you casted Kota a pitiful glance. Him being chosen as King must have been a shocker, the kid's too young to experience such trauma. Unsurprisingly (to you), the Queen revealed her choice – Kota's face taking over the big screen – and you watched with sympathy as his face crumpled. You reached out and gave him a light pat on the head, and left Usagi to wrap a protective arm around him.

"GAME RULES: It will go on for 16 rounds. During the first round, the Queen's team will chase the Challenger's team. If the button on your back is pressed, you will switch over to the team and be unable to move for the rest of the round. Starting the next round, you will be considered a member of the Queen's team, and it is the Challenger's turn to chase. Each round will last 5 minutes. The King cannot switch teams. At the end of the 16 rounds, whichever team has the most members wins, and the losing team is eliminated."

There was no strategy to this game. Too many variables, you being there was an extra factor you didn't know how to account for. So you didn't.

You left your brain behind you as you pulled the vest off the rack, a button facing you. You vaguely registered Kuina next to you to do the same, and you wondered how having her on the team would affect things. She was a Spades player through and through, the thought bringing a smile to your lips. What type of player were you?

Curiosity got the best of you.

"Kuina?"

She hummed.

"What type of player am I?"

You slipped your arm through a hole in the vest, and hoped it was the right one as she pursed her lips. It wasn't the right hole.

"You mean as in the symbols, right?"

You nodded, eyes narrowing at the somewhat complicated fabric woven into what's supposed to be a vest. The dark lighting didn't help. Your eyes latched onto something that appeared to be a clasp, and you fiddled with it until it became undone. You internally cheered in victory.

"Diamonds? I think."

You blinked in surprise, looking up to see she had already fastened her vest on, an amused smile playing on her lips as she watched you struggle. You frowned, and you didn't know whether it was due to the piece of information presented to you or the blatant betrayal in her not helping you.

"Why Diamonds?" You questioned, genuinely confused. You weren't the sharpest tool in the shed, you only got this far because you cheated – if knowing the future even counts as cheating. Slipping an arm through the hole (the right one this time), you shrugged on the vest like a backpack, noting the button to be near your right shoulder. Kuina reached forward to help you buckle the clasp, you let her.

"Why wouldn't you be a Diamonds player? You seem to know every solution to the games."

You pulled a face.

"You're very smart. Smarter than you give yourself credit for." Kuina finished up, and patted your chest. "Plus, you're one of the only people who understand Chishiya, so I think that warrants a Diamond label."

"What's Chishiya got to do with this?"

Kuina only offered a cryptic smile. "You sound like you don't want to be a Diamonds player. Chishiya would be offended."

You had nothing against Diamond players, or being one, it just didn't sound like you.

"Like I give a fuck what Chishiya thinks."

She laughed, shaking her head as she started her way towards the other's. Usagi was helping Kota fasten his vest, Arisu standing awkwardly behind him like he wanted to help but didn't know how. You felt fondness bloom at the scene. You resolved to do everything within your power to keep the group alive and together, the wound from Karube ever so fresh.

Your vest lit up, glowing a bright blue, and you only had a second to register the panic on everyone's faces, before a familiar voice made you exhale shakily.

"GAME START."