Chapter 19

Granted, you knew that you didn't look your best, what with the bullet wound, blood-soaked arm, red rimmed eyes, and soot clinging to every part of your being.

However, you thought Kuina's reaction was a bit much.

Various emotions flickered through her face in quick succession, you were only able to pick up shock, horror and panic. Her eyes were wide, pupils rapidly flickering over your hunched frame, taking in every gruesome detail.

Her mouth dropped, and she cried out to you.

"Y/n! Y/n!"

Her panic-stricken scream rang through the lobby, and within seconds she was by your side.

You noticed her hands were shaking slightly as she hovered over you, and you tried your best to give her a comforting smile. You didn't like that distraught look on her face.

"I'm...alright," you rasped out, voice sounding like you smoked since you were five years old.

Your words did nothing to ease Kuina's worry, in fact, she started to fret over you even more.

With one hand around your waist and the other supporting your non-injured arm, she heaved you up, basically carrying your whole body weight.

You let her carry you, her worried voice was soothing in a way.

"Y/n, are you alright? What happened? Why is there so much blood?"

"An asshole..." you wheezed, "shot me."

Your throat had suffered severe damage throughout the night, first with the scream-crying, then the smoke basically about to suffocate you, and then more smoke.

"Yes, I can see that. Do you feel okay? Don't pass out on me, baby."

"Okay...I'm okay."

She was dragging you at this point, exit close but fire spreading fast behind you. You noticed Kuina leaving bloody footprints behind, the grit of her teeth as she continued to lug you to safety.

Guilt and shame welled up inside you, you were the reason she was in pain right now, and you hated that.

Breathing became easier as you neared the doors, the fresh wind almost made you cry. After spending hours trapped in a resort-turned-oven, the cool breeze was something you had come to appreciate dearly.

The moment you left the building, you noticed a group of people standing in front of the fire of judgement.

They all had a forlorn look on their faces, and you sympathised with those who have lost someone important to them tonight.

Chishiya was leaning on the wall to your left, which almost had you jump in surprise when you saw his bright, white jacket.

You assumed he was waiting to go back inside for the card.

He made eye contact with you, and before you could even start begging him to take a look at the bullet embedded in your arm, he gave you a deadpan expression and said—

"No."

You were flabbergasted.

"But—"

His stare hardened, "no."

What did this man have against you?

Kuina didn't seem happy, she scowled at him and exclaimed in a scolding voice, "Chishiya! I don't know what you're saying 'no' to, but can't you see she's injured? Have some human decency!"

Ah, it appears she doesn't know Chishiya is a med student.

At Kuina's outburst, a lot of the crowd had turned around to see what was going on, and the moment the rest of your friends saw your state, hell broke loose.

Arisu and Karube didn't waste a second in rushing over, Usagi hot on their tail. Ann didn't quite run, nor was she rushed, but she was walking over and it was the thought that counted.

Tatta was trailing behind Ann, a smile on his face when he noticed you were still alive and functioning.

"Y/n, are you alright? What happened?"

"You idiot! You shouldn't have wandered off—"

"Here, let me take a look—"

"No, don't touch—"

You were getting slightly overwhelmed, mouth opening to answer one question but soon another overlapped and before your brain could even catch up, there would be another inquiry.

You wanted to answer, you really did, you just didn't know when to start and the distressed looks on their faces weren't really helping. Arisu and Karube looked like their world was caving in, and you understood, you understood how your situation mirrored Chota's, bringing in painful memories.

"Stop, you're overwhelming her."

Chishiya's voice had a cold, matter-of-fact tone, tinged with slight annoyance.

The rest had quiet down, looking sheepish.

"I'm—" you coughed, throat scratchy, "I'm alright."

They collectively winced, and Kuina was quick to advise, "Y/n, don't talk for now, we'll get the deets later, we need to get you medical attention ASAP."

Arisu was staring at your arm with a pained expression, and you were getting deja vu for some reason.

You eyed his bruised cheeks and dried blood dotting his face, and felt the need to appreciate his hard work.

"Hey Arisu, great speech —cough—loved the part...when you said not to look down on —cough— those that are still alive,"

You gave a thumbs up with your non-injured hand, "very moving."

He choked, "you were there? And I didn't—"

Chishiya snorted, "I saw her, she was slumped against the wall and everything. 90 degree angle."

You scowled, and Kuina looked thoroughly scandalised, "you saw her and didn't help?"

"She's not my responsibility."

"Guys!" Usagi yelled, "you're getting distracted! She has to get medical treatment now!"

To be fair, you were getting light headed, and your whole body felt like lead. You hadn't even noticed until Usagi pointed out what a bad condition you were in.

The world swayed beneath your feet, blood rushing to your ears and you could hear muffled yelling. You fought against the black spots blinking in and out of your vision, but you had reached your limit for the night.

You slumped against Kuina. Unconscious.