Chapter 34

Urumi's hand was wrapped delicately around your wrist, yet the weight rivalled that of a harsh grip.

You don't even know how you got here. One second you were gazing at the screen, nonplussed at the dimmed picture of the bully, and then the next you were getting dragged downstairs.

Your mind was still racing to catch up with the events, and you could only blink dumbly as Urumi released your hand to fawn over the snacks lining the shelves.

"Oh! They have Pocky," she leaned in, "I like strawberry better, I'm not a big fan of chocolate."

She snagged one off the shelves, turning to give you a questioning look. "Want one?"

"I'm...good," you managed to choke out.

She shrugged, and gestured for you to come over to the tables. You followed, a million questions rolling through your mind.

"Why..." You started as you sat down opposite to her, "why'd you drag me over?"

"I would like to get to know you better."

You spluttered, "I'm sorry?"

"I said, I would like to get to know you better."

"Know me better...how?"

She popped open the pocky box, reaching in for the packet. The crinkling of plastic wrapping was loud in the silent room. There was that constant smile she had on her face, it unsettled you.

"Did you really try and murder that lady?"

You did a double take, feeling frustration starting to bubble in your gut. Urumi had managed to get the packaging open, and was now munching on a Pocky stick as she waited for your answer.

"No," you sighed, "I did not try to kill that lady."

Urumi only blinked at you.

"Or her son," you mumbled as an afterthought.

Suddenly, her face split into a wide grin, "wow, you really are a good liar. I couldn't tell at all!"

"I'm not lying!"

There was a knowing sparkle in her eye, "almost had me."

You decided to stay silent and seethe while she made her way through the snack. Urumi had other ideas.

"Hey, you saw right?"

"Saw what?"

She leaned in, as if she had some big secret or conspiracy to tell you.

"The victim," she sing-songed, "lied to the bully. I think he's the Jack of Hearts."

"It's not," you immediately refuted, "I saw someone else tell him to lie."

Urumi didn't look too happy at your denial, but she did raise an eyebrow at your statement. "And who might that be?"

"The guy in the blue shirt. Tall, broad shoulders, looks deadpan 80% of the time."

At the understanding in her eyes, you internally apologised for throwing Banda under the bus.

Her smile was now careful, like she was approaching an animal she was still figuring out how to control. "Still, it can't hurt to be careful, right? He did lie, after all."

You didn't reply, and wondered why she was telling you this. Why did she drag you away just to talk to you about this? Was she worried you would rebel against her once she revealed her plans to kill off the coward? Either way, you didn't want to spend another second of your time with her.

You stood up, "I'm off."

She said nothing and gave you a friendly wave as you walked off. You didn't miss the way her smile immediately dropped when she thought you had your back turned.

"What was that all about?"

You shrugged, leaning against the wall. "Wanted to ask me if I really tried to kill the lady."

You hesitated telling the second part of your conversation. You hesitated too long and Chishiya was already talking.

"You didn't, right?"

"I didn't!" You fumed.

"Hm, I guess so. Someone like you wouldn't be able to kill someone."

Your heart stuttered at the memory of the bleeding militant you had killed in the hallway, it was something you would never forget. You immediately changed the topic of conversation.

"Check my symbol." You stepped in front of Chishiya and brushed your hair to the side.

"Hearts," came the reply, and you let your hair fall back down. Your blank face hid all the doubt flickering inside of you, it was like your brain knew to trust him but your heart was telling you not to. You tried your best not to get washed away in the uncertainty and redirected your attention to Ippei who was standing a few feet away.

"Ippei," you called, he turned around, "did Chishiya tell you your symbol yet?"

He nodded, a smile on his face.

You hummed, satisfied, and let your head thunk back onto the wall.

The hour was quickly approaching, and soon Urumi had gathered all her followers downstairs. They were all standing in a circle, save for your little group who had decided to sit down on a table next to them. Chishiya had insisted.

As the coward turned around to reveal his collar, you noticed Urumi's gaze pinned on you before she spoke, "spade."

A chorus of hesitant affirmations followed.

She smiled at you, a warning.

You didn't say anything.