Chapter 23

Your footsteps echoed through the subway tunnels, dark if not for the torches Arisu and Usagi were holding. Occasionally, a clang from a small animal or wind would reverberate from deeper within the shaft.

After Kuina and Chishiya left yesterday, Arisu showed you the video on Asahi's phone. You've already seen it, but you dutifully sat there and reacted accordingly to every scene.

Someone should give you an oscar.

You already knew where Chishiya and Kuina ran off to, and you wanted to see them again (Kuina, not so much Chishiya), and so once your legs were functioning (somewhat) properly, you urged them to go.

They had been reluctant, saying you needed to rest, and that you had almost died a couple days ago, but the past was in the past. You were a new woman now.

Ann had refused, saying she had other things to take care of, and of course, Tatta followed along with her. You tried to convince them to stay, although it had been in vain. After Tatta saved your life, you really wanted to save him from his fate.

No, you needed to save him.

You already had a couple plans laid out in your mind. You could join the Osmosis game instead of Niragi. But there were multiple flaws with that. Niragi, as much as you hated to say it, did play a role. Not to mention, you had no idea when he got the bracelet on him, it could have been days before Arisu's group arrived. It was a gamble.

You could replace another player, but unfortunately, literally everyone else played a crucial role. You can't replace Arisu, he's got all the brains and the plot amour. You can't replace Usagi as you don't have the capability to fly off shipping containers. You can't replace Kuina because you can't fight well. So what do you do?

Another plan was to just take Tatta out of the Osmosis game. You could bring him with you to a different easy game, such as Solitary Confinement. You would never lie to him, and as long as he trusts you, he would survive. However, there was yet another flaw within this plan. That would mean taking away the game-changer. Tatta changed the tide in Osmosis, without him, would Arisu's group die? Would they suffer any harm? The more you thought about it, the more you were confident that yes, yes someone else will suffer in Tatta's place, and that's to say Arisu's group didn't lose.

You had been thinking about this all day, turning, flipping your thoughts around and around, trying to find something. You wanted a risk-free, no-harm-to-others, Tatta-lives plan.

You were so deep in thought, you almost jumped at Arisu's voice.

"We're here."

You eyed the platform on the other side of the tracks where the door was located, before looking down at the platform you were standing on. You mentally calculated the probability of your legs collapsing if you jumped off the ledge and onto the rails, which ended up being highly likely.

You decided that sitting down on the ledge first and then jumping would significantly increase your chances of staying upright, and so you shuffled forward. The rest had already bounded off the platform, and slowly moved towards the door on the other side. You felt a small sense of urgency as you lowered yourself on the edge.

Legs dangling, you measured the distance between you and tracks, which wasn't too far. Placing your hands on the cold concrete, you were prepared to push yourself over before panicked hands grabbed your arms.

"What are you– No."

Arisu's eyes were wide, shock and exasperation painting his expression.

"Don't worry, I got this."

Trying to look as trustworthy as possible, you braced yourself. Arisu was having none of it, and tightened his hold on your arms.

"No, just–"

With a sigh, he hooked an arm under your knees, the other supporting your back as he carried you off the ledge. You flailed a bit, caught by surprise, before grabbing onto him in fear of falling.

You were speechless, and fully expected him to lower you to the ground now that you were on the rails. However, he adjusted you, and proceeded to carry you all the way to the other platform where Usagi and Karube were frowning at the door.

As he gently lowered you on the edge, you felt Usagi's gaze pin to your back. Did she think you were stealing her boyfriend? You slowly started to feel guilty and you shrunk away from Arisu in a pathetic attempt to show that, no, Arisu is still yours, Usagi.

Karube's slightly panicked voice rang out.

"Arisu? The door...it's open."

Arisu's attention was immediately diverted, and hopped onto the platform.

"Can you see anything inside?"

As Arisu questioned Karube, he grabbed both your underarms –gentle with the injured one– and hoisted you up. You stumbled, knees giving in for a second before you forced them to straighten up. He let you go once you were stable enough on your feet, and you gaped at him.

"No, I can't see anything," Usagi called back, eyes lingering on you, and Arisu peeked in through the gap of the door.

With a nudge, the door squeaked open, and you winced at the painful noise. Arisu shone the torch inside, and when nothing happened, he stepped in first. The rest of you slowly trailed behind.

Before you was a corridor, and surprisingly, there were functioning lights lining the wall. It was silent as the four of you made your way through, and it wasn't long before you emerged at a vast space, so large the darkness swallows up the light emitting from the torches.

It was weird, just seeing nothing.

No one said a word as they hesitantly started walking forward, tension thick, darkness engulfing them. You followed, and found yourself subconsciously sticking closer to Arisu and Usagi who held torches.

You guys walked until the facility came into view, slightly illuminated by dim lights. It was orderly on the outside, and you mentally prepared yourself for the gruesome interior. Oblivious to this, Arisu and Usagi shone their torches simultaneously at the entrance arch, the top labelled in block writing 'B-3'.

Walking in, you first noticed the specks of light littering the ceiling, and you assumed it had something to do with the computers covering every surface. You only had a second to muse about it; they look similar to stars, before your eyes lowered to the chilling sight before you.

On every desk, a person was plastered on it, lifeless. The tables were filled with paper, scattered messily. Cups lay unmoved with a light coat of dust painting the surface, and headphones were dangling off desks, hanging on by the cord.

Upon closer inspection, bullet holes ran straight through everybody's head, and it was only now did the putrid smell hit you. It wasn't horrific, but it was nothing pleasant as you scrunched up your nose.

There was stunned silence, and you could see Usagi and Arisu's torches move left and right.

"Are..you serious?" Arisu whispered.

You couldn't utter a word, eyes lowered and locked on a shattered, pink cup decorated with hearts, a hand hanging about a metre above it. Were they drinking water while it happened? You averted your eyes.

"You actually found this place."

Chishiya's not-so-quiet voice had you almost jumping out of your skin, Karube flinching harshly beside you. Arisu and Usagi immediately whipped their torches towards the origin of the voice, breath stuck in their throats.

Chishiya emerged from the opposite archway, Kuina next to him.

"As expected from someone I have high hopes for."