Chapter 8

"Hatter! Hatter! Hatter!"

You grimaced as someone shouting behind you elbowed you while pumping their fists. You had followed the flow of the crowd, almost bursting your eardrums along the way. You had to admit, watching the experience through a screen was much more fun than actually experiencing it.

"Hatter! Hatter! Hatter!"

You locked eyes with Arisu, who looked completely and utterly baffled. Karube was standing beside him, a disgusted expression on his face, similar to Usagi's but hers was more mellowed out. You hid a smile and stood on your tiptoes, trying to also locate Kuina and Chishiya. Sure enough, you found them further in the back, leaning on a pillar and watching the crowd with disinterested eyes.

Kuina made eye contact with you and you waved, to which she smiled and waved back.

Suddenly, the cheering rose up a notch, and you looked up to see Hatter emerging from the balcony. Behind him, trailed the rest of the executives.

Hatter held up his hands, and silence promptly followed. Teachers would be jealous, you mused as he began his speech.

"My comrades! The time has come again tonight. Do not falter! This is a war against fear! Everyone here has the courage to overcome their obstacles. Everyone here is now one!"

You had to admit, if you didn't transmigrate into this shit world, you would have also been swept up in Hatter's charisma. He made you feel all the emotions you need to feel in this dangerous place. Safe, included, important.

"We shall unite and gather all cards, and return to the original world together! And...that day is upon us!" With that everyone jumped and cheered, pep talk filling them with bravery and adrenaline.

You had almost cheered as well but stopped yourself, telling yourself that this contagious atmosphere will soon go up in flames and bullets.

"Get in the car marked with your number!"

You glanced down at your number, you then felt a presence behind you. Turning around you saw Arisu, Usagi and Karube.

Arisu glanced at your number, and you saw the momentary relief at noticing that you had the same number as him. You peeked at Usagi's and Karube's numbers, noting that they were in a separate game together.

"So, we're just an army to collect cards, huh?" Karube muttered.

You sighed, "let's go."

With that you followed the stream of people leading you outside, you felt Arisu on your heel, so you kept going. You soon found rows upon rows of cars, headlights on and ready to go.

You hopped into the car marked with your number, seeing Ann in the passenger seat and Tatta in the driver's.

"Hi Ann."

She cocked her head backwards, "hey."

Arisu whispered to you, "you're friends with her?"

"Kind of?"

Then the car door opened again, and Kuina slid into the empty seat on your left.

"Kuina!"

She looked surprised, "Y/n! We're in the same game?"

"Seems so."

She hummed as Tatta started to pull the car away. Most of the ride was silent, everyone mentally preparing themselves for the game to come and the possibility of dying.

You decided to end the light bulb game as soon as possible, it was too close of a call with Arisu figuring it out. Everyone was, like, one inch away from getting electrocuted to death.

The car stopped in front of a large, grey building. Ann was the first to step out, pausing at the scene before swiftly moving to the entrance. You stumbled to catch up.

Ann led everyone down multiple flights of stairs. Soon finding the phones in another desolate, grey room. You noticed...well, Arisu noticed the phones had a waterproof case. You were glad this game didn't involve any swimming, although you could swim, you weren't a super strong swimmer.

Ann picked up a phone, before stating in a cold voice, "this is a trial to see if you're useful to 'The Beach'. So do your best." She stalked away, you and Arisu shared a perplexed glance before following the route Ann went on.

Kuina fell into step with you, "don't worry about it, no pressure. Ann's just like that."

You chuckled, "alright, just don't kick me out or anything, that place is pretty decent."

"Right?" She hummed.

She then turned to Arisu, "I'm Kuina, by the way. Nice to meet you."

Holding out her hand, Arisu hesitated for a second, before shaking it, "nice to meet you."

Tatta's panicked voice then rang out, "Ann! Water is spurting out and filling up the area!" He then noticed Arisu standing next to us, "Hey...you're.."

Arisu seemed to have brightened up, "you're the one from the tag game. So, you're alive."

"Yes, I help with maintenance at 'The Beach' and–"

Ann cut in, "leave the formalities for after the game."

You felt slightly panicked, seeing water flow at such a rapid rate. You knew you would be able to live if you didn't do anything stupid to sabotage Arisu, however, your heart rate is rising as fast as the water filling up the place.

'Registration has closed.'

You once again zoned out on the instructions, deciding to keep staring at the water now already making it past your knees. You were quivering, that you knew, and it didn't help that you felt a sense of urgency and goddamn the instructions weren't ending–

"Electrical wires?" You heard a mutter just to your left.

"No!" You shouted, startling the girl next you who had her arms outstretched.

"Don't touch!" You yelled, exasperated at her stupidity. You remember watching this scene and shaking your head in disappointment, who would touch electrical wires and expect to live?

She had stopped halfway, before thinking better of it and retracting her hand.

You addressed everyone, "the water will rise, and when it touches–" you pointed to the dangling wires, "–you die."

"So that's what it is, huh..." you heard Kuina mutter.

Tatta started panicking, "it's rising so fast! What do we do? What–"

"Close the door."

Everyone turned to you.

"Close it."

You felt a little bad taking credit for Arisu's thinking, but you didn't want to be in here a second longer than you have to. Giving him a chance, you tried to communicate with him through your eyes as Kuina started sliding the door close.

It seems he's understood, and the moment the door banged close, he flipped the A switch.

"Wait," I said.

The water was rising fast, and you held back a gasp when noticing it was already slightly past your waistline. Patience....patience, you thought to yourself, just wait a bit longer.

The water now reached your armpits, and hearing Tatta's 'Hurry up!', you told Arisu to turn off the switch.

He did as you told and you whipped around to shout at Kuina.

"Open the door and touch the bulb!"

She hesitated, before wading through the water. She pulled the door open and moved closer to the bulb.

She poked it before flinching back, she yelled, "it's hot!"

Arisu wasted no time pulling the A switch again.

'Game cleared. Congratulations.'

You cheered, careful not to splash the water. With a grin on your face, you mentally patted yourself in the back as you would get to live another day.