Chapter 24

"As expected from someone I have high hopes for."

As Chishiya spoke, Kuina spotted you guys and her eyes widened, looking shocked for a split second before her lips stretched into a bright grin. You grinned back, and your eyes flickered to Arisu in order to gauge his reaction to Chishiya's words. It then hit you that Chishiya had spoken in English.

You immediately glanced back at him to find his gaze pinned on you, a small curl on his lips.

"What? Me?"

He cocked his head, "yes?"

You spluttered, "huh? High hopes? Didn't you hate me just yesterday?"

"No? I've never hated you?"

"You're so bipolar."

He gave you a flat stare, "I dare you to treat someone for days without sleep and not be grumpy."

You opened your mouth to retort when Usagi pulled at your arm, making you stumble back a few steps. She stepped in front of you and gave Chishiya a glare.

"What are you doing here? How did you find this place?"

He blinked, unfazed, before pulling out a small square sheet of paper where you were able to make out the faint lines wiggling across. There was a small dot and you internally applauded his perceptiveness once again.

"It took me some time to realise that this is actually the route map of a subway station."

Arisu's curiosity got the better of him and he blurted, "what happens when we collect all the playing cards?"

Chishiya was slowly folding the paper and slipping it back into his pocket, his signature indifference once again plastered on his face, "I thought I would know after coming here, but there's only one thing I've discovered." He gestured vaguely to the corpses lying around, "they are not the game masters."

"What," Karube started, "so there's someone above them?"

"That's right."

"Who?"

Chishiya had a teasing smile on his lips, "who knows? They could be aliens, or even god."

'SPECIAL URGENT BROADCAST'

Everyone startled, blinking at all the computers coming to life and lighting up the room. Mira's face was plastered on every screen. She had a wide smile on her pretty lips, eyes crinkled as if she wasn't delivering a broadcast filled with despair.

'Congratulations to all players.'

"Mira," Kuina breathed.

'With the exception of the face card games, all of you have cleared all the numbered games thus far and emerged the victors. A sweet victory you've grasped by sacrificing numerous lives."

A pearly smile, black dress on snow skin, jet black hair flowing effortlessly over her shoulders.

"I wonder how many of your comrades have died? Try remembering... those that were shot dead with a gun."

You flinched, and you watched as various clips started floating around screens, gunshots everywhere accompanied by falling bodies. You watched as Arisu and Karube's shells started to crumble, and you could've sworn you saw the moment Chota got shot flashing by.

"That girl you burned alive. Those struck with the lasers and those that drowned. Those whose heads were blown off."

More gruesome scenes, and you were so tempted to bury your face in your hands to pathetically shield yourself from the cruel deaths this world has brought upon them. Your breath hitched as you saw Shibuki's head getting blown off on one of the many screens, and you flinched away so hard Chishiya had given you a raised eyebrow.

Everyone's face –apart from Chishiya– had been drained of blood, eyes flickering between deaths but unable, unwilling, to look away, for the things these people have done to survive should be acknowledged, should be seen.

"Those comrades of yours. The despair you've felt so far and those dying moments that you can never forget. I'm extremely touched! All of you players, we would like to give you a present."

Hope was a fickle thing. It planted and festered, and you saw the moment almost everyone's eyes lit up.

"We...get to leave?"

"Are you returning us to the original world?"

"Can we go back?"

Questions were spoken as if Mira could hear them.

"There will be new games! Let's play together. You'll fight for the face cards!"

An unyielding hammer, swiftly crushing them.

"New games..." Arisu muttered, dazed.

"I don't dislike the idea." You shot Chishiya a withering glare, to which he ignored.

"We've still got many more wonderful games prepared for all of you, so look forward to it!"

"This woman...is she the game master?" You were unable to place the tone of Karube's voice.

Distracted, you subconsciously muttered, "something like that." At your mistake, you hurriedly added, "probably."

Kuina was staring at Mira's face, a fire lit in her eyes. You noticed Arisu and Karube had a similar expression on their face, and you understood. All this time they had been fighting to survive, and now they have a face to it. A face to blame for their despair, so their suffering doesn't seem so hopeless. They have a target now and they were going to latch on until death pried them away with cold, ruthless hands.

"The next stage will commence tomorrow at noon. Let's have some fun together!"

The screens flickered out, and you had to blink a couple times to adjust to the sudden darkness.

"So we have to fight again."

Arisu squared his shoulders, determination (or was it desperation?) lacing his voice.

"Yes, but one thing is different. We're finally seeing our target. We'll definitely find our answers there."

You sighed. Season 1 had finished, and with renewed determination you clenched your fist. You wanted to leave, and with your knowledge, it would be embarrasing if you didn't make it out alive.

Cue Season 2.