Chapter 29

Your fingers enclosed around the collar, and you saw Chishiya fastening his in your peripheral vision. Bringing the object up to your neck, you allowed it to clasp and tried to get used to the cool weight resting on your skin.

As Chishiya walked away, you noticed his collar already had a symbol plastered on it. A diamond. Gingerly reaching up, you felt the smooth, glassy expanse of where your own symbol lay.

You had gotten somewhat used to the stabs of pain shooting up your side whenever you so much as shifted, but that didn't stop you from eyeing the staircase leading to the lobby wearily.

You dragged yourself up sideways, you leaned heavily on the bannister, and allowed your injured side to be dead weight, and you winced every step of the way. By the time you made it up and out, you were gasping slightly and tried your best to compose yourself.

Everyone around you stared, and you noticed the cold atmosphere. Each individual was standing at least a couple feet away from each other, scanning the room apprehensively. There were a couple unique ones, though, and you blinked once at Urumi's serene expression and crossed arms before moving on.

A male was standing near the curved table in the middle of the room, looking restless.

You noticed Chishiya had made his way across the room, and was looking at you expectantly. You scowled, to which he smirked.

You tried your best to not to limp, not to show any weakness, but it was futile as you hobbled your way over to Chishiya. It was embarrassing, to have everyone's stares burn a hole into you, but you tried your best to school your expression and focused on getting to Chishiya.

You were about a couple feet away when an incredulous yell startled you.

"It's you!"

You turned your head, eyeing an old woman who was pointing at you, looking furious. She looked vaguely familiar, and you frowned.

"What?"

She shook her finger, spluttering, "you're the militant that tried to kill me and my child!"

You frowned even further, wracking your brain for a moment where you had tried to kill an old woman but coming up blank.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I think you have the wrong person."

"No! It was you! You missed and hit a potted plant!"

Ah.

You remembered. You were exiting a room, fidgeting with a gun, and accidentally fired. You brought your hands up in placating manner, "I assure you, ma'am, that I wasn't trying to kill you–"

"Liar!"

By now the room had erupted into murmurs, all eyeing you suspiciously and you realised that the only person you could trust after this would be Chishiya, who was the most untrustworthy person ever.

You forced your lips into a smile, "ma'am, I was taking a gun to protect myself, I accidentally fired–"

She cut you off again.

"No! I saw your malicious intent! You should have died along with all your other militant friends!"

You heard a small snort from behind you, and had no trouble figuring out who it came from.

Your patience was waning.

The old lady sneered, "well, it seems like you got shot. Deserved."

She looked at you as if she expected you to feel violated by her words, but the expression on her face pissed you off more than her pathetic insults.

Your smile turned sickeningly sweet, "what happened to your little kid?"

Her facade immediately faltered, face cracking. You felt a sliver of guilt, and decided to leave it at that.

As you turned, you locked eyes with Banda who was staring at you like he could dig out your darkest secrets and lay them out on a table. You immediately averted your eyes, feeling a shiver run down your spine.

It appears you had missed his entrance when you were squabbling with the old lady.

Sneaking another glance, you almost jumped again at his intense gaze.

Your attention was diverted by a familiar electronic voice.

'Difficulty level, Jack of hearts.'