Chapter 15

"Hey, wait up. Where'd you guys come from?"

A gruff-looking militant cocked his head threateningly. Chishiya had called Arisu over, saying there was something he needed to hear.

You had advised him to go, which turned into him insisting you also tag along. You didn't think twice about accepting, after all Chishiya was bound to turn you away at the entrance just like he did with Usagi.

"We didn't ask you guys to come here!" Another added on, and sure enough Chishiya emerged from behind them, "I called him over."

He glanced at you, disinterested but you noticed his gaze lingered on you longer than necessary.

"Hey, don't go gathering people on your own!"

"There is something important they need to hear."

They? You blinked. You had zero interest in seeing Hatter's dead body, although the idea of watching Niragi threaten Chishiya was tempting, you would rather not be in the same room as the psycho longer than you need to.

"Okay then, Arisu. I'll see you later."

You were about to turn and speed back down the hallway when Chishiya pinned his gaze on you.

"No, you too."

As much as you loved watching his character, dealing with him in real life was a whole other story.

"What happened to not dragging me into your shit?"

His lips stretched into a somewhat condescending smile, "Why so suspicious? Plus, this isn't my shit, it's The Beach's shit."

"Same same," you muttered under your breath. It seemed like Chishiya didn't hear you as he turned around, however you caught a hint of a smile playing on his lips as he walked off.

Arisu gave you a pleading glance, and that was all it took for you to sigh and follow along. You prayed to whatever deity above that Niragi wouldn't talk to you, or even better, not look in your direction.

Chishiya pulled open the double doors, revealing the spacious room you had once woken up in. There we have it, Hatter's body lying limp on a table. You didn't feel any particular emotion upon seeing him, maybe you just didn't care for him, or maybe your brain is still convinced that all these characters are fictional. You noted that his complexion was actually quite good for a deceased person.

Arisu looked shocked, although you didn't exactly know what was going on in his head at that moment. Chishiya's face made no visible changes, and you thought –not for the first time– how great it would be if you were able to read people better.

Quick footsteps emerged from behind you, and you turned back to see Tatta rushing to the body, Ann close behind.

Her eyes widened, undoubtedly shocked at her leader's downfall.

"It seems like he couldn't clear the game," Tatta explained, "the maintenance team found him by chance in Shinjuku while we were refilling gasoline."

Ann didn't waste any time in stepping closer to the body, hand reaching out to inspect it.

"Hey, don't touch him as you please," Niragi stalked behind her, "you dissection maniac."

Ann reluctantly pulled her hand back. Eyes roaming over the body, she observed, "he was shot by a gun. Did his game involve guns?"

Tatta stepped forward, "most likely. Some of those near the game area heard gunshots too."

You noticed Arisu glancing at Chishiya for confirmation, to which Chishiya lightly shook his head.