forty

TEXAS, USA; OCTOBER 19th 2022

song of the chapter:
james dean - cairokee

     Isla had been warned of Daniel's love for Texas and his admiration of its cowboy culture, he had been raving about the Texas Grand Prix for over two weeks now. What Isla didn't know was how deep his love for this state ran, but she started to understand it when he showed up to the airport in cowboy boots and a hat, along with his Ric Rodeo sweatsuit.

"You're in for the weekend of your life." Michael had chuckled as he saw the expression on Islas face when her boyfriend had walked in.

Isla shakes her head at Daniel with a soft smile as he greets her. "I leave you for one night and I get this back."

"It's Texas, I've gotta dress accordingly."

They were flying on a jet today, Lando tagging along with them per his request to Daniel. Isla still didn't know how she was supposed to act around him, Luisinha was her best friend sure, but she had grown to consider Lando a good friend as well in the time they had spent together.

They were halfway through their flight, Daniel interrupting their intense game of uno for a toilet break and Lando slides into the seat across from her quickly. The woman gives him a tentative smile, fully knowing the conversation that was about to ensue.

Lando let's out a sigh as he looks at her. "How is she?"

"She doesn't talk about it." Isla reveals solemnly, even though it probably wasn't the answer he was hoping for, it was the full truth.

"I thought she was staying with you for a bit?"

"Yeah, next week. We're taking a little girls trip." she gives him a tight smile, "We haven't really talked about...it, yet."

He nods silently, attempting to wrap his head around all of it. This definitely wasn't the outcome he had wanted for them, and he was obviously hoping for a way in by speaking to Isla but the only answers he had gotten were more confusing.

"I hope you know this isn't what she wanted. At all." Isla attempts, a sad smile on her face. "She's definitely not happy with the way things happened, I think she just needs some time to figure it out for herself. Then maybe you can try talking to her."

Lando gives her a grateful smile, before tilting his head at the man exiting the bathroom. "At least one of us is happy."

Isla turns her head to look at her boyfriend, who was now stood next to her with a hand on her shoulder. It was something she had come to notice and love about Daniel, how much he craved constant physical touch. It didn't matter what they were doing or where they were, he would always find some way to have physical contact with her and she loved it.

"Am I already getting replaced?" the Australian jokes as the woman leans into him slightly.

Lando simply rolls his eyes at his teammate. "Yeah, yeah, shut up and lets finish this game please."

"You're quite eager to lose, Norris." Isla jokes, pulling her cards back off the table as Daniel sits himself on the side of her seat and wraps his arms around her.