forty-four

LEGAZPI, PHILIPPINES; DECEMBER 1st 2022

     Christmas in the Philippines was a four month long event, something that Daniel couldn't grasp. He loved Christmas, but the Philippines loved it a hundred times more. The one thing he loved more than anything right now though, was how excited Isla was to be going home and seeing her family.

She had been going on and on their whole flight about all the food they were going to eat, all the traditions she was excited to show him. Most of all, her lola, who she was desperate for him to meet. Which is what he was probably most nervous about.

Islas mother had spoken to him on multiple occasions before where he had accidentally interrupted their daily phone call, so he already knew he was in a safe place with her. Islas grandmother however, was the oldest of the family, her approval would probably determine the fate of their relationship within the family.

The excitement was buzzing off the woman's body as they made their way through the airport, her mother patiently waiting for them just beyond those gates. They would be staying with her during their visit, since Isla didn't have her own place in the Philippines yet— something she had continuously gushed to Daniel that she wanted someday.

Ada lets out an excited squeal as soon as she spots her daughter, causing Isla to ditch Daniel with their luggage cart and run towards her— which he didn't mind that much. The two women were rambling on and on in Tagalog when he finally reached them, a tentative smile on his face.

"Daniel, it's so nice to finally meet you!" Ada says when she spots him, wrapping him up in a tight hug that he happily reciprocates. "Pictures don't do your face justice, dear."

"Mama!" Isla almost screeches from behind her mother, eyes wide as Daniel simply chuckles and thanks the woman. "Please don't embarrass me, I've had enough of that already from dad."

"I still can't believe you let your father meet him first."

"It was out of convenience, mama. Don't be bitter."

Daniel sits in the back of the car, his gaze fixed out of the window as he fully takes in his girlfriends other home country. He had never actually been to the Philippines before, but it was safe to say it was one of the most beautiful places he had ever seen.

Isla and her mother were mindlessly chatting about tonights dinner plans, and how it was her mothers turn to host again. Isla always seemed to make it home just in time for that. She was slightly nervous for all her aunts and uncles to meet him, they didn't have any filters and if they disliked him then they would definitely point it out right across the dinner table.

Ada helps them with their bags when they get to the house, leading them through the kitchen and out the back door where her guest house was located right on the beach. Daniel was stood gaping on the back patio, both woman lightly chuckling at the sight of his amazement with it all.

"I would've set up your room for you, anak, but-" Adas gaze shifts to Daniel, who's face immediately goes red at the womans insinuation. "I know how it is with you."

"Mama, what did I just tell you?"

"Yes, yes, whatever. I'll let you both get settled, family will be here by six."

As soon as her mother is out the door, Isla flops back onto the bed, the breeze from the open window doing wonders to cool her body. Daniel flops himself right next to her, except he trains his eyes on her rather than the ceiling.