Chapter 8

***Ryevin***

Anna was the most intriguing woman Rye had ever met. She would look at him with fearful eyes one moment and then speak with such ferocious boldness the next. Her tongue dripped lies like honey, strangely, he anticipated the taste.

He enjoyed hearing her talk of her world, even though he had a difficult time understanding it. Her world sounded soft. Women didn't need protectors? It was unfathomable. He knew he would have a difficult time taming her without extinguishing her spirit. He wanted her submission, her trust.

They were riding at a more comfortable pace than they rode the prior evening. The journey would still be difficult for her. It would most likely be trying for any woman. Surprisingly, Anna never complained. She was mostly stoic and silent.

Rye delighted in having her body next to his. Her hair smelled like flowers and he loved leaning his face into her and inhaling her scent.

He held her with one arm across her chest and the other holding the reins. He couldn't help but explore her with his hand. She had the most perfect breasts. He absently caressed and squeezed them. He then slowly dipped his hand under her tunic and continued.

"Rye!"

"Hmm." he murmured as he continued his exploration.

"Rye! Stop! Please!" Anna choked out. As if waking from a trance, Rye startled and finally took notice of Anna's state. She was trembling with tears forming in her eyes.

"What is the matter? You are crying?" He was genuinely confused.

"I don't want you to touch me like that. I'd prefer it if you didn't touch me at all,"she spat out. Rye narrowed his eyes.

"It is my right. I have claimed you," he replied defensively. Anna stiffened.

"I told you, your claim means nothing to me! Please don't touch me again!" Anger burned through him.

"If I want to touch you, I will. You are mine. How will you stop me?" He snarled.

"I was hoping all I had to do was ask," Anna said softly. Her eyes shone with tears. He didn't mean to get so angry and scare her. He remembered what she told him about men and women getting to know each other before joining in her world. He would be more patient with her.

***Anna***

Anna's stomach had churned at his words. She was so confused by him. Rye sometimes acted like he genuinely cared about her and then other times he acted frightening and cruel. He knew she was lying about her powers and even acted amused by their banter that morning, but when she told him she didn't recognize his claim he erupted like a volcano.

Despite his threat he didn't continue to touch her intimately. Instead, he brooded. Anna stressed about what he would do to her in the tent that night. He had let her sleep last night, but he obviously wanted her, and didn't seem too picky about consent. She would fight him tooth and nail, she decided. She shivered when she thought about how much he could hurt her. Didn't his stupid chain mean that he was supposed to protect her? She guessed it didn't mean from himself.

Rye gently tilted her face toward him. "I was speaking to you but I don't think you heard me."

"Oh, sorry. What did you say?" She said apprehensively.

"How are you feeling? Would you like to try some bread now?" Anna's head was spinning. Thoughtful Rye had returned.

"You probably don't really want to hear how I am feeling." She sighed and answered, "I should probably try some bread. Thank you." Anna was dizzy from lack of food and being bounced around on a horse didn't help. Her backside was not happy and her wrists were still being shredded by rope. She already complained about the latter, and Rye hadn't cared.