Chapter 21

***Anna***

It was the third day at the inn when Anna was told that she had taken over the residence of the innkeeper. She yelled at Rye for kicking the poor man out of his home during a rainstorm. Rye assured her that the old man wasn't sleeping in the mud. He had family in the village he was staying with and he was being paid handsomely. That appeased her a little.

Meanwhile, Rye had been treating her like a queen. He did whatever she bid him, and tended to her every whim and need. Sera had been back to visit her several times and she was tickled by the situation. Rye had a fierce reputation as an undefeatable warlord and he was now so besotted by Anna that he was playing lady's maid. Sera thought it was hilarious, but Anna knew better. He was trying to ease his guilt and earn her forgiveness. He was making some progress, but Anna would never admit it.

Sera shared with her that Fayla welcomed a baby boy, and both mother and child were doing well. The healer had become a fast friend. Sera enjoyed Anna's company, calling her a "welcome distraction." Apparently, Anna's odd colloquialisms were entertaining to the wise woman. She had helped Anna bathe, and Anna confided in her about her journey and being claimed by Rye. Sera was riveted by her story and couldn't stop asking questions about Anna's world.

When Sera wasn't there Anna was bored out of her mind. Rye was also restless and as a game, she started counting the number of times he paced the room. She got up to 372 times by the end of day two. When the boredom got really dire she recited the Lion King with songs, voices, and hand motions to Rye's absolute bewilderment. In exchange, Rye told her some of his own childhood stories, and suffice to say they were not as wholesome.

It was the fourth day, and to Anna's relief, Rye declared it was time to go.

***Ryevin***

The horses were ready and all but Oz were in favor of Rye's decision. The two shared some angry words that resulted in Ostiel returning to the Northlands alone. "I can't believe this, Rye! The fates hand you a mage, and you are just going to throw her away! You are a fool!" Oz had spat at him. Rye had been a fool, but he knew in his heart that in this he would be no longer.

Anna was adorned in her cloak and Rye had Ash and Thadeon escort her outside. He thought one cloaked figure would look less conspicuous than two.

The group left at a fast speed in order to make it to a more secluded area as quickly as possible. They passed through the road and back into the woods, where travelers will be less likely.

Anna had pulled down her hood, when Rye let her know it was safe to do so. She had been very quiet since saying goodbye to Seraphine.

"Where is Oz?" Anna wondered aloud.

"He left for the Northlands."

"He wanted to get there before us?"

"No. We are not going to the Northlands," Rye answered abruptly.

"We're not?" Anna's voice was close to a whisper.

"No."

"Where are we going?" She asked hesitantly. Her face was pointing away from him, and there was tension in her muscles as she awaited his response.

"I'm taking you back to the lake. To the Cliffs of the Midwood." At that, Anna turned her head toward him, her face filled with disbelief. Her eyes shone with unshed tears. She was trying to read his face, as if to make sure he was telling her the truth.

"I've hurt you enough. I want to make it right, so I'm taking you back." Her face completely transformed then. She looked at him with a tenderness he never expected. His heart almost leapt from his chest, and then quickly was overcome with sadness.