Chapter 28

***Anna***

Anna woke to the wagon door being opened. Her heart sped and the fear began to choke her. Was it Solmin? A head poked inside. Casten. Her body relaxed and she sighed in relief. 

His face was grim, but it always was. Wasn't it? 

"Anna. I have two warriors bringing Ostiel to the wagon. I want to prepare you. He will not live much longer." It was like a brick was sitting on her chest. Her eyes filled with tears. Ryevin's brother, his only family. Her heart ached at his presumed grief. 

"You will use your gift on them," Cas commanded bluntly. Anna swallowed, remembered the mission, and nodded. He climbed in next to her and gently helped her sit up. He untied her wrists and she pulled the gag out while he exited, but he didn't leave.

Heavy grunts came from outside. Two large Farwoods warriors gripped Oz by underarms and thrust him inside. She couldn't allow herself to look at him yet. 

She grabbed one of the men's arms and he immediately pushed her down. She gasped as her back collided with the wagon floor sending a searing pain through her ribs.

Casten pulled out his sword and pointed it at the man's neck. Cas's facial features contorted and he looked murderous. "Cas," she pleaded as she tried and failed to sit back up. The other warrior was frozen in place, watching.

"Apologize and help her back up," Cas ordered. The man nodded. He didn't look frightened at all. Emotionless, he turned to Anna, the sword still pricking his neck. "Sorry, girl." He reached out and grabbed her hand and when they touched she twisted with concentration. She poured her hope into him and his grip held her tighter. 

His eyes widened. "Forgive me," he said with more feeling. He pressed his other hand to her back to steady her. Cas lowered his sword. 

"You are forgiven," she said softly. She looked to the other warrior and reached for him. He let her touch him. She closed her eyes and repeated her process. When she opened them again the warrior was looking at her with confusion and awe. "It worked?" He nodded and continued to stare. He didn't even blink. "I believe the fates want Solmin's rule to end. Will you help?" 

The two warriors uttered their agreement.

All three men were now staring at her with reverence and it made her uncomfortable. She started to twitch under their scrutiny. She let out a small cough and reluctantly turned to face Ostiel. He was unconscious, his chest rising slightly was the only indicator that he was breathing. His hands were bound behind his back. He had betrayed them, but he didn't deserve the torture that he'd endured. 

She reached out to touch him and tried her best to give him some relief. She was in pain, but it wasn't as bad as before. She didn't know if it worked or not, she had no desire to open herself up to his feelings. 

"Anna, I am sorry. I have to tie you up again," Cas interrupted. She glanced back at him, and he looked contrite.

"Sir. Why? Won't it be easier for her to use her gift without it?" The one who pushed her reasoned. 

Cas thought for a moment. "We will leave it off while you are in here. Keep the rope and cloth close, so it will look like you got loose on your own. If my father sees you…"

"He will hurt me," she finished for him. She shrugged her shoulders, but her insides coiled with nausea. Cas nodded his head and sighed.

 "I will try to bring more to you through our travels and tonight. I won't let another warrior harm you again." They both glanced at the man who had pushed her and he looked away from her in shame. "We are about to leave. The journey will not be easy for you with your injury." She held her breath while she mentally prepped herself.